The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2003, 10:19 AM   #1
70-K10-292

Unhappy Pulling Problem !!

I put a set of 6 lug wagon wheels off a early 80's chevy about a month ago. Not long after it began to pull to the left when the brakes are applied.So I figured the wheel cylinders or brakes were in need of replacement.I replaced both front and rear wheel cylinders ,and it still pulls real hard to the left. I swaped left and right front tires still pulls ! While I had the wheel cylinders off I flushed the system and used silicone brake fluid instead ,I have blead and blead the system for air on the right side and nothing!I had the front wheels off when I bled them ,so I know that the right side is working.What am I missing here !!Is it simple or complex ! Today I may try the old narrower wheels and tires back on the front to see if it makes a difference. Sorry fo the long post ,I am getting discouraged !

1970 K-10 292 Longbed stepside (now a stakerack)powersteering ,Factory step bumper,Tow Hooks,Deluxe gauges Tach & Throttle, 4 speed manual 1 out of 464 made with protectoplate intact .
70-K10-292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Aggravating....Two things come to mind and both could just be a fluke that happened because0of the larger wheels and tires. My first guess would be the wheel bearings on the side it's pulling may not be able to take the extra wheel width weight. Depending on the wheels offset, it may be putting just enough strain on the bearings. Since it does it with differnt wheels of the same type that is my #1 guess.

Other thing could be some other componet like a tie rod getting ready to breath it's last.

That';s all I can guess. If it seems to go away with the other rims and tires on it, I would check the bearings and races. Only saw it happen one time, the wide wheels can put a huge strain on front bearings and as old as they probably are, it may not take much to have them go.

There is my guess. But yeah it can be simple or complex...but seems always frustrating to you, especially if your an amateur mech like me.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

When you put new wheel cylinders on the front were the brake shoes and there hardware in good condition and adjusted correctly? did you have the drums turned or check them for warpage or being out of round?
Old 08-16-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
Blue4x4

How is the alignment on the front end? I have had other vehicles in the past, that when you apply the brakes, it veers to either side.
Blue4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #5
70-K10-292

I put new hardware on the front and rear drums looked ok and shoes & drums are not too old either!I adjusted the left side loose and the right side closer ,still made no difference.Tha allignment is something that didnt bother before ,But I could have it checked. This truck maybe gets driven 500 miles a year.

1970 K-10 292 Longbed stepside (now a stakerack)powersteering ,Factory step bumper,Tow Hooks,Deluxe gauges Tach & Throttle, 4 speed manual 1 out of 464 made with protectoplate intact .
Old 08-16-2003, 04:29 PM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Check the rubber brake hoses.One of them may be collapsed causing the other side to work but not letting enough fluid thru to activate the one that isn't working.The right one may be collapsed or may have seperated inside keeping fluid from getting to the wheel cyl.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:28 PM   #7
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

You've probably already checked this stuff....

When you bleed brakes, drums, disc or combo, always start at the wheel that it farthest away from the master cylinder.

Check to be sure that you don't have the leading and trailing shoes swapped around. The "Trailing" shoe usually has more lining (a longer piece of lining) on the shoe, and goes toward the rear.

Check the inside diameters of the drums. A larger diameter drum, i.e., one that has been turned/cut and is thinner than the other, will pull more, because the linings have more surface on which to grip.

Check tire sizes....should be same on either side in the front.

I know these sound like Homer Simpsonisms, but I have seen all lf this happen, at one time or another.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 06:51 PM   #8
70-K10-292

I installed new brake hoses with new wheel cylinders.

Old 08-16-2003, 11:15 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

While I do not have any suggestions for your pulling problem, I di want to ask how much you know about teh brake fluid you put in there. This link tells youe verything you need to know about brake fluids.
http://www.shotimes.com/SHO3brakefluid.html
I also say stay away from DOT5, it is for show cars as far as I am conserned. It may even be the problem being it is so friken hard to bleed. (I've done it too...it is a PITA)
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 10:05 AM   #10
70-K10-292

I replaced the bearings on the Pass(right )side when I did the wheel cylinder.Today I'm going to do the drivers side (the pulling side) to see if it is bad,probably originals anyway. I mean when I come down on the brakes it locks up the drivers side wheel so it squeels very annoying and hard to drive !!

Old 08-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #11
Capitol68

this may sound low tech, but,,,,try going for a short drive using the brakes, stop and feel the front drums, maybe one is cooler than the other,,,careful they might be real hot ! ask me how I know .
orig. stock TH 400.

Albert Pine
English author d.1851
Capitol68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #12
70-K10-292

Been there done that HUH !!

Old 08-18-2003, 08:39 AM   #13
70-K10-292

Talking

I replaced the drivers side bearings and races and had the drum turned .Presto ! no more pulling problem !!!!!! Thanks for all of the suggestions!