The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
cjlinkster

Replacement shocks on 3/4 ton

My truck C20 heavy duty needs new shocks all the way around.

I have been looking at a few different shocks mainly the Monroe Sensa trac, Monroe gas magnums, Kyb GR2, and the Kyb gas adjust.

My truck is only used on road. I do use the truck for towing a few times during the year. Between the shocks listed above, which one would you consider (something not too stiff or bouncy)?

When looking up the specs for the KYB shocks, I am surprised that they recommend the same exact model # shocks for the C10, C20, C30 and K series trucks. Does it not matter that the trucks are rated at different capacities (1/2, 3/4, 1 ton)? It seems logical that a C30 dually with heavy duty suspension would need a different shock than a C10. Am I missing something??

It looks like my truck currently has monroe shocks on it (blue ones up front and yellow in the back).
Old 10-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Replacement shocks on 3/4 ton

i threw monroe gasmatics on my c 10 and am a bit disappointed in them . im told the KYB is a much better shock and a friend has them in his el camino and it rides nice i think im gonna try them next

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

I have 1 set each of these for my truck, Kyb GR2, and the Kyb gas adjust. The "gas adjust" have very stiff bump (compression dampening) especially when run on the rear of unloaded trucks.....they do offer great handling though, due to the mono tube design, and almost zero fade.

I prefer the GR2 for overall comfort (twin tube design).....but I have run the gas adjust on the front and GR2 on the rear for a good compromise, due to a trucks heavy front vs rear weight bias when unloaded.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 PM   #4
Bow Tie Scottie

I had Monroe Reflex shocks installed last November. Before, going over speed bumps the truck would creak and jostle; afterwards, a much smoother ride, hardly any jostle. A more improved ride came after I had replaced tires with Goodyear's Silent Armor this Spring. Suspenion improvments helps the gas milage as well.

86 Chevy Scottsdale C20, SBC 350, TH400, 4.10 gear ratio
Bow Tie Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
Slowtruk

sub'd
1961 c-10 Apache short fleet
2005 Chevy Suburban LT
2012 Hyundai Sonata
Slowtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
tucsonjwt

I have old Monroe stock heavy duty shocks on my C20 and they perform well, even after many heavy loads. The best shocks I have had were Edelbrock IAS, but they are very expensive. In my experience, 3/4 ton truck shocks should be a larger diameter shock (heavy duty) than 1/2 ton truck shocks. OEM GM shocks have never lasted very long in the trucks I have owned, but they do ride smooth, except on washboard roads and similar terrain.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote