The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Ironhorse

Original AM/FM Install

After searching and looking in salvage yards, yard sales, swap meets, etc. FINALLY found an original true AM/FM truck radio. Bought at Pate/Texas Mtr. Speedway swap meet for $230 (worked when it was removed, yeah, NOT!) Wanted $275 and just couldn't do that not knowing for sure. Glad I dickered with him now. Took it to a well known radio shop (used to be authorized Delco dealer) and was told "nice looking am/fm, too bad it don't work''. Fix it and call me. $230 later it is ready to be installed. Taking it to the radio shop Tues next week for install. If it was an am only might install my self but I want this done right !! Have all the neccessay brakets, dash cups (A big thanks to Sharpie1972, thanks again Dennis). Bought a aftermarket replacement speaker from www.turnswitch.com so think I'm ready to go. Included the old stock original and the new replacement for comparison. Uses an "adapter" block so speaker will fit the original speaker bracket. Also plan on installing later a Sanyo AM/FM/CD/Cassette single DIN for underdash mount. First the truck AM/FM
Attached Images

Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks

Last edited by Ironhorse; 07-09-2011 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Added Info.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Ironhorse

Re: Original AM/FM Install

Now have my original AM/FM installed and I'm really liking it. The replacement speaker I purchased sounds great, has a depth and fullness like an original. The radio works great and looks great in the un-cut dash. Next project will be to figure out where to mount the Sanyo under-dash am/fm/cd/cass. Put a splitter in so will be able to run the stock in-dash radio and the Sanyo head unit from the original fender antenna. Since the truck is 4 speed with transfer lever not sure it will mount in the center without interference.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
dracko

Any idea where I can get the factory speaker mount for an original radio?

thanks
Dan
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #4
Ironhorse

Besides the speaker bracket you also need the radio bracket that mounts to the firewall as an aid in supporting the weight of the radio. Let me check my parts shed and see what I have. If you do a search you will find a pic I'm sure of the stock radio mounts needed.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
dracko

Okay thanks IH, my truck is a '64. I noticed all the radios in the wrecker yard were just hanging with all weight on the knobs/dash face, but figured that couldn't be right.
Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #6
Ironhorse

Not sure if the '64 radio uses the same brackets as the '67 - '72 truck radio. I did find a partial set, the only piece I found was the one that mounts to the inside of the firewall. It is pictured at the beginning of the thread above the radio. I had two and used one.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
stich626
Account Suspended

so you're into this for 460 bucks before you install it.. for am/fm
what am I missing
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Ironhorse

Yep, that's about right. Not missing anything, just wanted a true truck am/fm to go along with the tow hooks, floor shift tilt, and factory tach. All somewhat rare or hard to find options from back in the day. How many 67-72trucks, Blazers or Suburbans have you seen with a TRUE factory am/fm radio? Next time you go to a car/truck show take a look see. They are out there but you gotta' do some lookin' Check what a TRUE am/fm goes for on eBay or here on the board when they do come up for sale.
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
dracko

Quote:
Not sure if the '64 radio uses the same brackets as the '67 - '72 truck radio. I did find a partial set, the only piece I found was the one that mounts to the inside of the firewall. It is pictured at the beginning of the thread above the radio. I had two and used one.
Hey IH, thanks alot for scrounging up those brackets. I don't know for sure, but i'm thinkin the 67-72 brackets are probably different since the dash/firewall is different. Thanks anyways though, i'll hit up ebay and see what I can find.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

Turnswitch (S&M Electrotech) could have rebuilt that radio to have all new modern and more powerful internals, along with MP3 plug ins as well.

They did mine, and I am very pleased! Loks factory, but sounds like a new radio.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #11
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Yep, that's about right. Not missing anything, just wanted a true truck am/fm to go along with the tow hooks, floor shift tilt, and factory tach. All somewhat rare or hard to find options from back in the day. How many 67-72trucks, Blazers or Suburbans have you seen with a TRUE factory am/fm radio? Next time you go to a car/truck show take a look see. They are out there but you gotta' do some lookin' Check what a TRUE am/fm goes for on eBay or here on the board when they do come up for sale.
ok.. if shows are your bag,,
I'd rather drive and be able to sick a c/d or i pod on when every channel is ad's..
good luck with it.. to each their own..
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #12
Ironhorse

Shows aren't " my bag " as you put it but I do like to find and install hard to locate original options as I am able. My truck also did not have a rear cargo light which I installed along with moving the in cab fuel tank to under the bed and then utilizing that space made available for the cab corner speaker brackets offered by bigblock73. Will also be installing an am/fm/cd/cassette underdash Sanyo deck to get away from all ad's you mentioned. This will hook to a pair of Pioneer 150 watt tri-axial 6x9's in the corners and a pair of
5 1/4 Polk 100 watt co-axials up front. Of course in-between ad's I do listen to the local FM rock station which plays 60's, 70's and early 80's rock. I even on occasion listen to the news as it in one way or the other has an effect on our daily lives. Like you said "to each his own"
Original Truck AM/FM
Wellington, Ks
Old 10-10-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Shows aren't " my bag " as you put it but I do like to find and install hard to locate original options as I am able. My truck also did not have a rear cargo light which I installed along with moving the in cab fuel tank to under the bed and then utilizing that space made available for the cab corner speaker brackets offered by bigblock73. Will also be installing an am/fm/cd/cassette underdash Sanyo deck to get away from all ad's you mentioned. This will hook to a pair of Pioneer 150 watt tri-axial 6x9's in the corners and a pair of
5 1/4 Polk 100 watt co-axials up front. Of course in-between ad's I do listen to the local FM rock station which plays 60's, 70's and early 80's rock. I even on occasion listen to the news as it in one way or the other has an effect on our daily lives. Like you said "to each his own"
the stations up here play way tomany ads, last night, the 4 channels that I tune into the most where all playing ads at the same time, they are getting smarter, know'n your gonna tune to another during the ad's so they started all play'n the ads at the same time..
royal p.i.t.a. and it's not one or two it's 3 or 4 then the "we'll be back in 60 seconds or less" then another one or two..
besides corporate radio sucks,, I'm guess'n that there was more than 200 songs recorded between the 60-70's , but they play the same dam ones..