The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
cwindham

Rear View Mirror

Well this may be a stupid question but I gotta ask bc I cannot get it to stick to save my life. I have used two different types of adhesive and used alcohol to clean the surface but I cannot get the bracket to stick at all. I have waited over 24 hrs before trying to put the mirror on the bracket and it still just comes off.

Any suggestions?? Im about to use super glue

thx
Old 10-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
william-theglassman

Re: Rear View Mirror

go to a glass shop and have them put it on for you. most use loctite brand mirror glue. comes with a primer and the glue. most shops i ever worked at did this for free. good luck.
william-theglassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
john_p

if it does not stick the 1st time, sell the truck.. you are right it is impossible... the glass shop thing did not come to mind and duct tape did not work.. i just hold my mirror up to see what's behind me.. do not spend money for the glass rated super glue with the spray accelerator.. i remember setting in the floorboard, hand stuck to the windshield when the rear view fell off, missed my head.. and stuck to the console..
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

I have had the same problem. After the last time the mirror fell off the windshield and took a big chunk of glass with it, I screwed the mirror base to the metal trim on the upper edge of the windshield. It will not come off now. One downside is that I have stick on window tinting on the rear window, and the image in the mirror is somewhat distorted - meaning that it gives a view that is not directly straight out the window, and I get the reflection back into the truck that happens with stick on window tint, especially at night. I think a factory tinted glass window would not have that problem. Someday I will probably get an old style roof mounted rear view mirror and be done with it.
I added a JC Whitney wide angle mirror attachment I bought 12 years ago for a new Silverado work truck I bought - stock truck mirrors are too narrow for the big rear window on a truck.
Attached Images

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
Rogue_Alphonse

When I installed my Lincoln Continental rearview, I had to swap to the bigger Ford mounting piece, so after trying the crappy AutoZone thing with 3M tape on it and watching it fail horribly, I used JB Kwik-Weld.

Been holding up nicely, even with my driver's side visor brushing against the edge of it every now and then.

Luckily enough, there was this plastic bezel thing that snapped over the metal base of the mirror to hide the excess adhesive.

1991 Mustang GT Vert, T-5 w/ Pro 5.0, Trick Flow upper & lower, BBK cold air intake, 3:73, BAMA chip, etc.
1988 K5 Blazer, [coming soon] TBI 400, SM465/NP208, 12 bolt rear, 3:08's, looks like a 1980.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 fully loaded daily driver!
Where there's a will, there's a rig!
Rogue_Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 09:08 PM   #6
bigwheel15

I tried a couple different rear view mirror adhesives and they all failed horribly, a little 2 ton epoxy and its been holding for about a year now and still going.
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #7
cwindham

Thanks for the help guys. I will try the 2 ton epoxy and see what happens.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Your41Plague12

I've used the el-cheapo mirror adhesive and have had nothing but good luck with it. Not sure what would cause it not to work well. Maybe the glass was too clean! I never cleaned mine; I just glued it to where it was before it fell off without cleaning anything, and it's held for 2 years now.
Bushwacker Cutouts, 38x15.50 Mickey Thompson Baja Claws,
350 HP 350 crate engine from Jegs, Turbo 400
Your41Plague12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
dswancutt

if you use too much glue it will not hold. I had the same problem you had. Second time I used just a pea size or smaller dab of glue and it is still holding.
dswancutt is offline   Reply With Quote