The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
jobberone

1976 Cheyenne 4x4

Had the truck painted, key fobs/opener installed and bed lined. New wheels and tires. Interior redone. Even put a Sirius system and new radio/CD in. Natually I loan it to my son and now its stuck in Clemson SC with he thinks a blown engine. Transmission probably needs to be redone or replaced as well.

Currently has a mostly stock 350 4brl with alum intake. My guess is the rear seal is gone since he says there is a lot of oil on the chassis. And maybe a spun bearing since he said he didn't check the oil. Oh well its sat for a long time getting all the work done.

So my question to you is what engine do I put in it? It's really a nice truck with no rust. I'm planning on giving it to one of my sons in a few years when I'm gone so I don't mind putting a reasonable amount of money into it. I will say its not driven a lot although that could change for me. In fact I suspect I will drive it more.

So would you rebuild the motor assuming the bottom end is still good? Or put a crate motor in it and which one? Or should I consider putting some variant of a LS motor in it? What problems would I have mating a LS motor to the 350 tranny with 4x4 setup? How much trouble is it to put a 4L60E or even 6l80e in an old 4x4?

I'm leaning towards just a replacement motor although I have a very good 4 bolt block in the garage.

Whatayathink?
jobberone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 1976 Cheyenne 4x4

If you have the ability, time, and money to build a motor thats a good choice. If you want an engine that will drop right in, my feelings are unless you supply the labor, its very hard to beat the GM crate motors on bang for buck.

With that said, I still prefer the LSx conversion over all of those options. I prefer the advantage that computer tuning and EFI offer.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

I bought my crate motor from JEGS and its been wonderful

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
notyo_cheez

Cool Re: 1976 Cheyenne 4x4

I'll concur and recommend the 350 crate also. Machine shops will charge you more to rebuild an older plant than what you can buy turn-key from a Goodwrench dealer direct or mail-order. Best option for a daily driver or weekend warrior, do it once and keep driving. Goodwrench and the speed shops have street transmissions too, get both and you might get a break on shipping.

If the ruined plant is original it has the sought-after high nickel block that some race builders prefer as long as it's not cracked. Personally I wouldn't mess with it after something catastrophic happened to it, give the old one a decent burial or post it on Craigslist. Been down that road.
notyo_cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
russgt

What ever you decide, you may want to consider putting a rev limiter on it in the future if you continue to loan it out to your sons. LOL, been there and beat on plenty of my parents cars and trucks. Over rev an engine with some miles on it and you will most likely drop a valve or spin a rod bearing.
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
jobberone

Quote:
Originally Posted by russgt View Post
What ever you decide, you may want to consider putting a rev limiter on it in the future if you continue to loan it out to your sons. LOL, been there and beat on plenty of my parents cars and trucks. Over rev an engine with some miles on it and you will most likely drop a valve or spin a rod bearing.
LOL. I suspect the rear seal failed. Whether we have a spun bearing or not we'll see. I doubt he over revved it though. Auto. And I gave him a Vette with a manual and he's not hurt it in three years. So I give him a lot of credit. No tickets either. But strangely he's had two failures lately so I have to admit being a tad suspicious.

Meh. It was time for a rebuild to a 383 with some ponies anyway. It's only money.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
russgt

I'm sure my dad wouldn't have trusted me with a vette, but It does sound like your boys are responsible. Don't rule out rebuilding your engine and using it as a learning experience for your kids. I'm 28 and growing up only had 1 other friend that was into cars. Young people with mechanical skill and knowledge are getting hard to find, and i think working on cars and trucks beats the crap out of playing video games.
20 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:39 AM   #8
jobberone

I have a 454 I built years ago but never put it in the truck. I never put an oil pan on it although it was never fired. So I have no idea what the internals look like. And I'm not sure I want to put it in the truck now. It should have around 400HP which isn't too much but I'm sure the mileage will be poor.

Would I have to change the springs on the front of the vehicle?

How difficult would it be to put a pull out of a 6.0 into the vehicle? I don't really want to do this kind of work anymore. Not sure I have the health to do it or the patience to turn wrenches now. And finding someone to do it for me has proven difficult for the Augusta GA area. Not many people want to do that kind of work anymore.

Besides I have a 67 chevelle still in the shop getting a 502 rebuilt and a 70 Superbee in the paint shop. And I just got back my 2000 Lingenfelter Vette after spending a ton on it.

Anyone in the SC, GA or NC area that will put a 6.0 pullout in the truck for a reasonable sum?