The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 06:05 PM   #26
Ironworks

Re: Ironworks Speed & Kustom 57 on ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
It is super nice but it would be a full time job to just keep it as clean as it deserves.

AMEN on that one.
Ironworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:11 AM   #27
solidaxel

............. AAaaa let see 148500 / 7000 = --.00

Man I hope he got more enjoyment out of it besides all the trophy's

That is a garage queen, or if you you own a detail shop!!
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:14 AM   #28
AUSSIE54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworks View Post
Your absolutely correct. The cost to build this truck is way over the asking price. There are so many hand build details that take so much time. Take the pedals under the dash cost over 2K when you add up all the time for design, machine and assembly. The exhaust is all mandrel bend U bends TIG welded together and the each weld is sanded perfectly smooth. The bed was completely from scratch to hide the actuators for the tonneau and cover the 285 rear tire with out narrowing the correct width on the bed. Just the custom built and machined parts on the engine are ridiculous, valve covers, Reworked Kinsler stack injection unit ( The kinsler is not cheap to start with ) let alone what we did to get it to work like it does. Every piece of aluminum in the interior and on the fuel tank was water jet cut, the each hole was counter bored and chamfered for just the right look before it was polished then anodized to keep the anodized parts from looking purple but have the anodized look.

Projects like these are just hours and time. Our shop labor rate is 65 per hour, you can barely get you lawn mowed for 65 per hour anymore. Plus in this line of work you have to have very expensive tool to make the already extreme amount of time need somewhat reasonable.

I use the example of buying a New York Steak. You can get one that tastes like beef jerky for 2.99 and you can get one at Sizzler for 8.99 and you can get one at the Outback for 17.99. They are all New York steaks just some are way more money for some understood level of quality. There are guys out there that love their 2.99 steak and will never see the point in going to the Outback for a 17.99 Special.... Haha Some special. Then you will have guys who would rather starve then have a 2.99 New York. And if you ever got a chance to go to a Ruth Chris ( I probably misspelled it, I could only afford to go once in my life) steak house and have a 40 dollar New York you may think the Outback one is junk, But you may not be able to afford it every night after work. But there are those that can.

The guys that we have done work for on the rather high end, Understand you not in here for value, Not that we don't do good work or honest billing, But it does not make sense to do the of the things we do. The 48 truck we are doing has so much work into things most people will never ever notice. We did not chop it 8" and make it a crew cab, We just gave it a trim and shave. But the customer loves it and has been here the whole time and put his input in to get where we are at. He enjoys the build and has the money to fund what he wants. He has built more cars in his life then most people I know, He just has the money from his hard work in business to really do some nice stuff.

Thanks again for the compliments guys

Hey Roger, what's wrong with a good 'ol crew cab!!!

Ha ha, just kidding mate. I know you've heard it all before, but wow!, you guys know how to do some serious work! Hope you get a lot more customers with seriously fat wallets. Well done!

Regard,

Trently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
AUSSIE54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #29
Ironworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
............. AAaaa let see 148500 / 7000 = --.00

Man I hope he got more enjoyment out of it besides all the trophy's

That is a garage queen, or if you you own a detail shop!!
I got enough enjoyment out of it from just getting to build it. The trophies were just icing on the cake. It was built as a marketing tool and it had pretty much paid for itself that way well before it ever went to Barrett Jackson. Some guy that lives 900 miles north of Vancouver, Ca bought the truck. So unless they mount a snow plow on the front I bet it will sit in some guy's garage until the end of time.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #30
BlueJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworks View Post
Your absolutely correct. The cost to build this truck is way over the asking price. There are so many hand build details that take so much time. Take the pedals under the dash cost over 2K when you add up all the time for design, machine and assembly. The exhaust is all mandrel bend U bends TIG welded together and the each weld is sanded perfectly smooth. The bed was completely from scratch to hide the actuators for the tonneau and cover the 285 rear tire with out narrowing the correct width on the bed. Just the custom built and machined parts on the engine are ridiculous, valve covers, Reworked Kinsler stack injection unit ( The kinsler is not cheap to start with ) let alone what we did to get it to work like it does. Every piece of aluminum in the interior and on the fuel tank was water jet cut, the each hole was counter bored and chamfered for just the right look before it was polished then anodized to keep the anodized parts from looking purple but have the anodized look.

Projects like these are just hours and time. Our shop labor rate is 65 per hour, you can barely get you lawn mowed for 65 per hour anymore. Plus in this line of work you have to have very expensive tool to make the already extreme amount of time need somewhat reasonable.

I use the example of buying a New York Steak. You can get one that tastes like beef jerky for 2.99 and you can get one at Sizzler for 8.99 and you can get one at the Outback for 17.99. They are all New York steaks just some are way more money for some understood level of quality. There are guys out there that love their 2.99 steak and will never see the point in going to the Outback for a 17.99 Special.... Haha Some special. Then you will have guys who would rather starve then have a 2.99 New York. And if you ever got a chance to go to a Ruth Chris ( I probably misspelled it, I could only afford to go once in my life) steak house and have a 40 dollar New York you may think the Outback one is junk, But you may not be able to afford it every night after work. But there are those that can.

The guys that we have done work for on the rather high end, Understand you not in here for value, Not that we don't do good work or honest billing, But it does not make sense to do the of the things we do. The 48 truck we are doing has so much work into things most people will never ever notice. We did not chop it 8" and make it a crew cab, We just gave it a trim and shave. But the customer loves it and has been here the whole time and put his input in to get where we are at. He enjoys the build and has the money to fund what he wants. He has built more cars in his life then most people I know, He just has the money from his hard work in business to really do some nice stuff.

Thanks again for the compliments guys
Now that's transparency, and very well stated at that!

I love your work, I had the opportunity to see it in person and talk to your guys at the Des Moines Goodguys this past summer. Very outstanding work!

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:36 PM   #31
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
It is super nice but it would be a full time job to just keep it as clean as it deserves.
That would be a bad thing???

I just sit back and admire the quality of the work that Ironworks puts into their builds and while I will never match it I hope that it causes me to take an extra hour or extra day to do something right and as close to perfect as I can get it rather than just sluffing off a job that could have been just that much better.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #32
Ironworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That would be a bad thing???

I just sit back and admire the quality of the work that Ironworks puts into their builds and while I will never match it I hope that it causes me to take an extra hour or extra day to do something right and as close to perfect as I can get it rather than just sluffing off a job that could have been just that much better.

Thanks alot. I would give up every award ever for the work we do to inspire people to just try a little bit harder. You can buy trophies at the trophy shop, but to inspire someone with the same thing I'm passionate about has to be one of the coolest things ever. Thanks
Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #33
mr48chev

I've probably learned more about building hotrods and customs in the past five years than I did in the 59 before that. For the guy at home building his own rig taking a few more hours to make something he/she is working on doesn't cost anything but those few hours but the satisfaction of having done it right will last forever.

When I was younger it always seemed I was rushing towards a deadline and a lot of details never got attended to. Those extra hours I should have taken on the door jambs after I suicided the doors or the fact that I should have spent more time and thought before I cut out the openings in the inner fenders for the Camaro A arms to clear. Each item would have taken a little bit of time but wouldn't have cost anything to do except maybe a couple more sheets of sandpaper on the door jambs.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote