The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
jstrong394

advice on doing my 84 build

I have a 84 c-10 that may grandfather bought new. When he passed away he left it to my dad. Now im rebuilding it. I have got most rust spots on the body with the por-15. The frame has surface rust that i need to take care of and the bottom of the cab needs to be cleaned really well. There are some things i need to replace like the wheel wells and stuff. But i would like to get it ready to be primed and work on other stuff like the grill and engine stuff after it primed. Where do i need to start. I dont have a lift or anything just working on it in my garage the race car occupies the shop
jstrong394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
379redneck

Re: advice on doing my 84 build

Get everything cleaned first, find out everything you need to do. If you plan on redoing the interior I would take that out next and get that all cleaned up in there and ready for paint. Are you painting the engine, pullin it out? If you are going to pull the engine, it would probobly be a good idea to do that before you paint the truck. Then you can paint the engine compartment and frame without worryin about messin up the engine and you wont have to fight with the tight spots. Send out the truck to get primed and painted and you can work on the engine while its gone. Then put the interior in it.
I wouldnt get it primed until after you are done makin a mess. You will probobly mess up the primer if you do a lot of work with it on there and have to get it redone anyway when its time for paint. Im sure other guys will help you out to and give you better advice. It also depends a lot on how much you plan on restoring it.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:11 PM   #3
379redneck

Sorry to hear about your grandfather.

87 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 350/TH350/NP203 Flow Tech long tube headers, throttle body spacer, Edelbrock Performer cam, true dual Flowmaster 40s, 6 inch Superlift suspension lift

2000 silverado extended cab stepside 5.3l. Stock for now
379redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
jstrong394

Thanks alot man that is what i think i will do just hard to take the motor out with out a hoist lol.....she sat up for 6 years but i hope to have it good to go in 2 years. My father in law has a paint and body shop so i should have some pretty good up. I just hope its not to much to take on by myself. Any advice on vent windows mine pretty much need replacing along with windows and molding. and everything underneath needs a good bath
jstrong394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 PM   #5
Pop's C-10

if tha motor runs good..you can leave it in & clean it up & around it with out pulling...just take it down to tha long block clean..clean...clean & use a good engine paint..but you can rent a hoist out buy one for a few hundred bucks..they come in handy for other things than pulling motors..you can remove a bed & cab from tha frame with em..
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote