The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #1
PDW HOTRODS

Flip rear axle?

Has anyone done a rear axle flip without doing a C notch? Any pics of how a truck would sit. I fliped the rear in my 56 and I'm afraid it might be lower than I want. The axle is very close to the frame, and only the cab is siting on the frame. I don't want to scrape on speed bumps. Thanks.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #2
mknittle

Re: Flip rear axle?

what are using for a rear axle and what springs?

my dad did a setup like that 30or so years ago on my sisters 52 chev he used a 1970 caprice rear axle on top of the stock springs he even used a 2" block to get it lower. and it still sits a bit high for my tastes and I am not a big fan of running boards on the ground.JMHO
any way she drove it for maybe 10 years like that with no problems.In fact he used the caprice front clip.It rode and handled real nice, too bad it is sitting in mothball

I'll get you some pics

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602

Last edited by mknittle; 10-09-2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: memory started working
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
PDW HOTRODS

52 had the rear above the springs already. This is a 56, and the rear was below the springs. I am using a Camaro rear above the springs. I want to be able to tow or haul a small load if I want, so I don't want it too low, and I don't want to C notch if I don't have to. I don't want to weaken the frame, so if I c notch, I want to add something back in.
PDW HOTRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
parkwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
52 had the rear above the springs already. This is a 56, and the rear was below the springs. I am using a Camaro rear above the springs. I want to be able to tow or haul a small load if I want, so I don't want it too low, and I don't want to C notch if I don't have to. I don't want to weaken the frame, so if I c notch, I want to add something back in.
c notching is no biggie but you have to watch and make sure the center of the rear end doesn't come up and hit the bed.. and you will want to box the frame where you c notch..
parkwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #5
FFredo

I'm not real familiar with the 56 but if it's anything like the 59 there's not much room without a C notch. I'm running a 82 jimmy 12 bolt rearend, It works fine with the C. Total drop is about 3 1/2" and I still need to add bump stops so the bed does not hit the rear pumkin housing.

before

after
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #6
Dan in Pasadena

Member "57 3100's" truck has a rear flip and a 3" drop axle from Sid's with 3 leafs removed up front. No C channel but he's told me he took the bump stops off and put a thick strip of rubber on the lower frame flange.
Attached Images

Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDW HOTRODS View Post
sorry, brain fart. It must have been swapping out the enclosed drive shaft

My GMC build.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
sorry, brain fart
"Indesision is the key to flexability".....uh....huh. So's poor spelling!

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Every time I read that on your posts I get a little smile)
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkwood View Post
c notching is no biggie but you have to watch and make sure the center of the rear end doesn't come up and hit the bed.. and you will want to box the frame where you c notch..
Yeah that's what i am working on. probably will raise the bed floor a couple inches.

My GMC build.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
fredscarryall

how much space do you have between you axle and frame now?if you do an axle flip it will drop your truck about 4 inches. (depending on how thick the tube and perch are). the distance between the axle and frame can differ even in the same year.your will more then likely only have about 2 inches between the axle and frame. even if you remove the bump stop it will still hit the frame when you hit a bump. even if you put a small piece of rubber in place of the bump stop the axle hitting the frame is very annoying. you will also not be able to tow anything or haul a heavy load. if you want to go on the cheap you could remove a couple leafs . but you cant go more then a couple inches , if it messes with your bound and rebound which can make it a little bouncy, firmer shock can help like gasmatic 2s. this route you wont be able to haul or tow anything. even though its alot of work in the long run an axle flip and a frame notch are the best way to go if you plan on keeping the truck. if you need some advice or want someone else to do it for you. give charley at charleys original drop shop a call he's in portland area and does everything in house,has good prices and stands behind his work.503-780-2155. if you want to go a couple inches he can dearch your springs and that way you wont lose your towing or hauling ability.
fredscarryall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #11
la hi

FFREDO! That is a great looking gas tank.
What is the name and model number?
thanks,
larry
la hi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #12
FFredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by la hi View Post
FFREDO! That is a great looking gas tank.
What is the name and model number?
thanks,
larry
Sorry to thread jack the OP.
Larry, the tank is from Tanks inc www.tanksinc.com model number UT-N-2
FFredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
mr48chev

I can attest to the fact that if your axle bangs on the frame long enough the frame will most likely break right above the axle. I had to limp into my buddy's place one day and put the frame back together on the left side on the 48. That's one reason it's getting a new frame. This one will get a C notch but not a big one as the truck won't have bags.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote