The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #8
COBALT

The 10 bolt GM Corporate axles (HO52 and HO72) came suspended under 3/4 ton coil sprung suspensions and 1 ton leaf sprung suspensions respectively and share a lot of the same parts and characteristics. They're strong as hell, but obsolete. It's becoming harder and harder to find parts for them. They're easily recognizable with their perfectly round salad bowl back cover, and unboltable and droppable 3rd member out the front like the Ford 9".

They sport an Eaton carrier, which is usually why they're mis-named an "Eaton" (which typically sends people with little experience who want to find out about their rear axles on wild goose chases until they finally find out that HO52 or 72 is the term they should be using - ME included). Their housing was made by GM, hence the "GM Corporate" label. Axles and pinion I believe were made by Spicer. They originally came with either the 4-spider peg leg, one-wheel-wonder thing, but while in production saw Eaton Posi and Lockers in the carrier. Some have survived but not many.

Gearing ranged from 4.10 all the way up to 5 something...(I did see one set of 3.73s for this thing, but only one, so I have to speculate that it was either an aftermarket thing that was available a long time ago or a factory/dealership replacement that never saw a lot of distribution).

Now there aren't any spiders available PERIOD unless you can find them used. Detroit lockers can be put in brand new, but they're expensive, and unless you're lucky enough to find an old posi unit in good working order you're SOL on posi. The only gear change you can do is down to 3.90 or 4.10 replacements, and the bearing kits are not only HUGE but expensive as well. Complete rebuilds can get in the $1000-1500 range.

Strong, robust, and almost (I mean this loosely) maintenance free as long as they're well sealed. I've never had my axles out, or rebuilt the brakes (someone else did the honors), but it looks like it wouldn't be too tough. Several bolts on the hubs hold the axle in place, and I don't think there's any clips or anything inside the carrier.

Since I've had mine I've replaced the 4.10s with 3.90s for better highway driving, had a Detroit Locker put in, and had the bearings replaced. I wouldn't do that again - strictly an amature mistake, but now it will last another 30 years, so what the hell...
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 08-19-2003 at 03:12 PM.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote