The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM   #1
chewychevy67

recharge a original fire extinguisher?

I have recently ourchased a original gm 2 3/4 lbs dry chemical fire extinguisher dated 1965 that i am going to put in my truck. I was originally just going to have it there for show but i have located a original gm recharge kit for it. do you think this would be safe to recharge it for my truck or just leave it for show? pic below is exactly what i have but is not mine incase a pic of it makes a difference. Rod.
Attached Images

chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: recharge a original fire extinguisher?

Send it to the guys on the "American Restoration" show and have them restore it.

Or, take it to the local fire dept. and ask them for advise. Over here they're responsible for inspecting them and I'm sure they would know the best way to test and what to do.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Sequoyah
so easy a caveman can do it...

I would keep it for show...I had some old ones I was going to recharge and the local company wouldn't do it because they were over 10 years old. You can always stash a new one away somewhere just in case.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=242380
Sequoyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:05 AM   #4
GMC"ER

OK something I know about for a change! I am a firefighter, take it to your local dept. and let them look at it. Each state seems to be different on these, a lot of your tanks will have a date stamped into it around the nozzle others have nothing or maybe just a code. Just take it down to your local fire dept. and let them look at it as they will know the regulations and most of them will have it charged for you for a small cost. If you have any doubts about it being trustworthy by all means just use it as a show piece but rarely are these not safe to use as long as you can have it filled. And as always a tip for everyone make sure your home has a fire detector's and change the battery regularly I change mine each time I change with daylight savings time changes so that gets it twice a year. Good luck on your extinguisher it is a great find !, Robert
GMC"ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
chewychevy67

think ill just keep it in for show.
chewychevy67 is offline   Reply With Quote