The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
FL71C10

Can you install factory AC in non AC cab

I have a friend who has a complete factory AC system and I am thinking about buying it to put in my truck. My truck cab is non AC, and I wanted to see if anyone knows what modifications I would need to make to the firewall to make it fit./

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by FL71C10; 10-20-2011 at 10:38 PM.
FL71C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
heeroyue2002
fat old dude

Re: Can you install factory AC in non AC cab

u can chop the part where the heater box's go and weld it on. as for the ac vents u can make those with a hole saw.
Accepting part donations
heeroyue2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
MARKDTN

Yes you can. I put factory a/c in a 71 that didn't have it. I don't remember exactly what I did on the firewall, but I didn't weld anything. I think I just had to cut out a little and drill a hole. On the other part, the outer vents cover well but the center one I did a "measure 3 times cut once" kind of deal. The flex hose ducts are a bit of a pain to get right. If I ever work on another I may try to make ducts out of thin wall sewer pipe.

On the setup you get, look at the control arms to be sure they aren't broken. They are reproduced-and I have heard that they are in steel now and not pot-metal. The setup I bought had a bad diverter, but those are available too. Check the cables and make sure they are free. I would replace the fan relay, in fact I upgraded the one I did to the '90s style oval relay by buying some terminals.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
mrein3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL71C10 View Post
I have a friend who has a complete factory AC system and I am thinking about buying it to put in my truck. My truck cab is non AC, and I wanted to see if anyone knows what modifications I would need to make to the firewall to make it fit./

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
You have to modify the firewall but it is a fairly easy modification if you have a MiG welder.

I purchased a complete AC dash that was cut out at the spot welds under the windshield molding but ended up using it as a template, not switching it out. The center vent is easy to cut with a dremmel tool. The side vents are easily cut with a hole saw. The holes aren't round on the dash because of the sweep out at the edges but a steady hand with a hole saw makes the same opening.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=478564

Note my picture that says "Note dimple". Non AC trucks have a dimple everywhere you need to cut - except for the dash inside. The dimple on the firewall you need to make big enough for the other side of the heater core to come out. On the core support there is a dimple to center your drill for the hole to allow the hard lines to come in from the condensor.

I hope this helps.

I sure enjoy the AC. I can't wait to try out the defrost this winter. Warm, dry air out of the AC unit on modern cars clears the windshield off WAY faster then heat only.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Hey John, you can have the firewall section you need out of my Custom Camper...if you want to come up and cut it out I have the tools. If you can't get up here I can cut it out and send it to you..no charge. You would have to show me how much you need or where you want it cut....let me know and I'll send pics that you can mark-up and send back. You could also use it for a template to mark and cut the holes you need...might be easier.
Brad

If you come up you can check this out.....
Attached Images

71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Can you install factory AC in non AC cab

I did! I cut all the holes and put all the AC stuff in my 71 back years ago.

I have updated the older system to 134-a but the main system is 71 stuff.

Under the hood.

Inside the cab. 4 seperate box you have to take a part when doing the inside and the vent holes you must do.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
coop34

I did this a year or so ago. Do a search on this. There were tons of threads with great info. I just cut a little on the firewall and drilled a couple holes. No welding here. If I can do it, you can do it.
coop34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
gotchamel

Along with the mods mentioned, insulating the cab would make the a/c much more efficient.
gotchamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
69sixpackbee

I did it. Even an experienced eye will be hard pressed to find it was an add in.
69sixpackbee is offline   Reply With Quote