The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:53 PM   #76
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Re: An expensive lesson learned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyrodknocker View Post
my next point is the vast majority of these old rigs [meaning millions] are running off the shelf motor oil. If it was devastating to flat tappet motors, these trucks would be stacking up in the ditch.
Thank you. Based on what a lot are saying in this thread, all of my rides should have had wiped cams 5 or 6 years ago. For several years, before I rebuilt my truck's engine, I used the cheap Q-state oil, and it was lucky if I changed that oil every 10,000 miles! It had 212,000 miles on it and still ran down the road when I pulled it. I don't use Q-state any more and change oil every 3,000 miles, but I don't worry about ZDDP, and they still work. I don't have any non-stock, aggressive cams either.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #77
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold70c10 View Post
Thank you. Based on what a lot are saying in this thread, all of my rides should have had wiped cams 5 or 6 years ago. For several years, before I rebuilt my truck's engine, I used the cheap Q-state oil, and it was lucky if I changed that oil every 10,000 miles! It had 212,000 miles on it and still ran down the road when I pulled it. I don't use Q-state any more and change oil every 3,000 miles, but I don't worry about ZDDP, and they still work. I don't have any non-stock, aggressive cams either.
Don't ever under estimate "cheap" Quaker State. I have documented over 325K on one car and another with over 200K. Quaker is good stuff. For the record I have never believed in the 3000 oil change. Unless you live on 5 miles of dirt road.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #78
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Subscribed for the good info.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #79
rustyrodknocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgold70c10 View Post
yea, I just don't think the sky is falling as fast as some people. Not that I don't think its falling but you have to take the big numbers into consideration. thousands of home bulders and crate buyers are putting these motors into service without epedemic level failures. but the zinc content was there for a reason and its removal is not a plus. I have followed the oil science off and on for ten years. If there is any Harley guys on here they might know what I mean. When manufacturers refused to disclose what was or was not in there oil major publications began to have them analyzed and published the results for all to see. Speaking of Q state I did some work in a Q state / pennsoil plant when they changed from one product to another nothing changed except the color of the bottle. It was fun to watch. since this thread has bee hyjacked . [I apologise for my part] I would love to know why the viscocity of some same weight oils are so different at room temperature. ever notice that?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:40 AM   #80
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
because of emmission controls, ALL on road oils lost it's zinc, (government mandated) heavy deisel oil lost it next..
your amsoil and r/p are no different..
unless you buy the off road only.. racing oil..

the r/p rep. flat out said there oil for street use isn't a good idea with flat tappets.. guess he has no clue
This isn't off road or racing oil specific? I use this in my truck...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2011, 07:51 AM   #81
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by treveiger View Post
This isn't off road or racing oil specific? I use this in my truck...

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amo.aspx
Posted via Mobile Device
good luck with it.. try for sh ts and giggles pulling a spring and testing it's pressure, ya a weak(dead)spring on a .3 lift lobe might slide by..
again good luck.. the need for the zinc isn't some ole wifes tail..
and some of this bad info, like say'n amsol is fine, is why new engines are failing within 5-10k after break in..

my engines have to much money in them to "chance it" anything under 1200ppm is not enough
and it's not just the cams and lifters it's the valve stems and rocker tips and balls. (non roller) any part that slides.
new engines don't have these issues, as most are ohc and the hold out ls is roller
Old 10-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #82
watahyahknow

oops just figured out it isnt a connectingrod but a pushrod , did you check the clearance on the springwindings at full lift , it could allso be if you have hydraulic lifters that the one with the bend pushrod pumps up a but under stress check the return oilhole inside the lifterbore and if theres a hole in a different place compared to the other lifters or holes you can allso check the oilseal on top of the valveguide to see if by any chance the thingy holding the spring to the valvestem hit it ..... that should be eaziest to check first right after checking the windings at full lift allso check if the rocker is hitting the valve straight on , basicly anything that can cause binding

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 10-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #83
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
Thanks for posting/starting this thread.....really sorry to hear about your motor.

Got me thinking about the oil I've been using...Castrol GTX High Milage, it's a blend.

Just called Castrol today and found out that oil is NOT recommended for my original/stock '72 c10 350. I figured "high milage"...that's me! Wrong!

Castrol Edge Syntec is a full synthetic with a higher zinc/zddp formulation specifically for older vehicles.

So is the Valvolene VR1, but it comes as a coventional oil as well.

While I've been using the GTX HM for over a year, I think I've only put about 3-400 miles on it....and it was running strong when I last drove it....
But I'm not even going to start the engine again until I change the oil to one better suited for my engine. Be it synthetic or conventional.
Castrol Edge Syntec comes in multiple weights, but ONLY the 5W-50 weight has the specific formulation for older vehicles/flat tappet cams. I just wanted to clarify.

Last edited by slikside; 10-21-2011 at 07:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM   #84
treveiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich626 View Post
good luck with it.. try for sh ts and giggles pulling a spring and testing it's pressure, ya a weak(dead)spring on a .3 lift lobe might slide by..
again good luck.. the need for the zinc isn't some ole wifes tail..
and some of this bad info, like say'n amsol is fine, is why new engines are failing within 5-10k after break in..

my engines have to much money in them to "chance it" anything under 1200ppm is not enough
and it's not just the cams and lifters it's the valve stems and rocker tips and balls. (non roller) any part that slides.
new engines don't have these issues, as most are ohc and the hold out ls is roller
my motors rebuilt not so long ago and this oil runs great in it(did you read what its ment for? Flat tappet cams an older engines...) and I'm not easy on my motors at all an ams oil has never let me down.
To say that its ams oils fault that cars blow up is a sad remark. My bro in law runs it in his corolla since brand new an has the oil tested regularly an NO PROBLEMS of wear what so ever. It won't protect driver stupidity, no oil can. I've seen proof that ams oil works an others don't compare... Sorry truth hurts sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2011, 07:34 AM   #85
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
my motors rebuilt not so long ago and this oil runs great in it(did you read what its ment for? Flat tappet cams an older engines...) and I'm not easy on my motors at all an ams oil has never let me down.
To say that its ams oils fault that cars blow up is a sad remark. My bro in law runs it in his corolla since brand new an has the oil tested regularly an NO PROBLEMS of wear what so ever. It won't protect driver stupidity, no oil can. I've seen proof that ams oil works an others don't compare... Sorry truth hurts sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
whatever you say.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #86
k5hart

Quote:
corolla ... Sorry truth hurts sometimes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Big difference between a Corolla and our trucks.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #87
leddzepp

I think this thread has now just about run it's course...
Attached Images

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Closed Thread