The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #1
jasonroman

want to swap parts from 85 to 86

well trans went bad on my85.
i have all new suspension kit from ccp on the 85.
dont have money to buy a new kit. so i was thinking about swapping parts over. i did the drop less the spindles, was a bit worried id mess something up.
so i paid a guy to do the spindles. if i were to attempt it myself,
any tools ill need to make job easier on my? trying to find a good diy on the spindles to help me out.
thanks for any help
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #2
kSStamp0182
LSX addict

Re: want to swap parts from 85 to 86

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/chas...n/frontend.htm
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
jasonroman

thanks man. i actually have that link as a favorite. gotta print it out and work next to paper. i was just wondering if i need to pick up any special tools. guess ill read it again. info might be there.
thanks again.
might hold off on swap till i have extra change to pick up the other little parts in front end that should prob be swapped out, ball joints, tie rods etc.
not sure if ill be able to press joints at home. but rather not spend 800 i was quoted to freshen up the front end.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
kSStamp0182
LSX addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
thanks man. i actually have that link as a favorite. gotta print it out and work next to paper. i was just wondering if i need to pick up any special tools. guess ill read it again. info might be there.
thanks again.
might hold off on swap till i have extra change to pick up the other little parts in front end that should prob be swapped out, ball joints, tie rods etc.
not sure if ill be able to press joints at home. but rather not spend 800 i was quoted to freshen up the front end.
you should be able to rent a ball joint tool at like o'reilys (for free). i just tapped mine in tho with a 4LB mallet and a sizable socket. the tops are not pressed, they have rivets that you will drill out and replace with bolts. most replacements should come with said hardware.

id say go for it, just make sure you chain (i used ratcheting tow straps) them springs up. rather be safe than sorry! even if you end up having buying a couple tools, which i doubt if you have a basic set, it should still be a far cry from 800 bucks.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
jasonroman

think im gonna try and price a kit. dont remeber what i paid for 5/7 kit.
hate to take parts off blue truck and end up with a jacked up high rider.
then again, since money is tight, and im not sure how long i can drive high, i may be attempting swap.
who knows. ill keep ya posted.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
jasonroman

another question.
if i pull spindles off lowered truck to swap to stock height truck. can i just keep ball joints or whatever is attached to spindles in and do swap?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
kSStamp0182
LSX addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
another question.
if i pull spindles off lowered truck to swap to stock height truck. can i just keep ball joints or whatever is attached to spindles in and do swap?
you could, but they are pressed (bottom) & bolted (or riveted if OEM;top) to the a-arms, not the spindle.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #8
jasonroman

thanks for reply.
had guy over here yesterday who told me hed help with swapping motors in spring, he told me i would be albe to undo blue truck parts and pop em in the gray truck. i mentioned things pressed in....forgive my lack of knowledge, and not wording things right.....
anyway, he thought i could plug and play.
guess maybe this weekend if i get time and weather, ill try and get a better look at whats there and how hard it will be.
again, id like to wait, and get all new parts for the front end of truck, but lacking patience.
would like to just buy new kit for the gray truck, so i could have 2 low boys, but might just part the blue one, scrap wats left and maybe get another square with the money i get.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
blime81
Laid Lo

Don't let swapping the spindles scare you. It's really not that bad. A grinder to pop the factory rivets, renting a ball joint tool from the auto parts store and your in business.

What tranny is in there that went bad? Rebuilt t350s and 700r4s are less than $800...
'07 Sand Rail - ecotec powered
'05 2500HD - tows stuff
'67 VW Bug - gas saver
'01 Jeep TJ - rock crawler
blime81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:23 AM   #10
jasonroman

Well I have the grinder. I'll check if local spot rents tool I need. One day project right
Going that route I Shud prob wait and buy front end parts right?
Ball joints tie rods and whatever else is up there?

Trans in. Blue. 700r4
Trans in new grey is 350
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #11
cableguy0

If the ball joints and tie rods arent sloppy and worn out you dont need to change them. To get the spindles off you only need to remove the nuts holding the ball joint into the spindle. Now go find a healthy hammer and smack the hell out of the spindle where the ball joint shaft goes into it. The spindle will come loose after a few good wacks. YOU need to pay attention to the spring and secure it first though. The coil spring is under tension and will come flying out and take your head off. You need to put a floor jack under the lower control arm to hold it up while you get the spindle free. You can also wrap a piece of chain through the control arm and spring just to be extra safe.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #12
jasonroman

well took running truck to shop to have a look at what making noise and why the shakes.
balanced wheels and told me the lower ball joint is bad.
hopefully thats the noise i hear.
gave me a price of 140 to replace that ball joint with a moog part.

then i came home and since i had a little time. i figured id take a shot at getting parts off the blue non runner.

was able to get spindles, shocks and coils off the one side.
still have to do the other side. bit of a pain getting off the spindle. upper ball joint didnt want to give. but i got it.

so now im half done with the front.

hope i can use the stock parts of running 86 on the non runner. just so when the time comes to get truck outa here, i can
Old 10-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
jasonroman

so, front end is off....took a while. but been working overnight and during the day.
got spindles, shocks and springs off. found spindles from old truck in basement, so they will go back on. also had stock springs. cant seem to get them in. not sure how much i need to remove to get them in.
would like to be able to put stock stuff back on bad trans truck. so if and when the time come to call scrapper, it will roll.
but ill have to find some cheep beat wheels and tires, cuz i have now, 2 set of ralleys with brand new tires.