The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #1
Matshark

Question Which paint / primer for frame

I want to paint my frame after sandblasting it, but here in Germany we
have only water based products left, because the good ones ( not water based ) are not legal to be sold any longer.
The new stuff is by far not as good as the old stuff.

This is the point where I need your help.
I will on SEMA show this year and plan to buy the right paint / primer
or whatever I need to paint my frame as good and durable as possible. The frame shall be black.

You could help me very much if you could suggest what to buy and tell me where to get it.
I would put my focus more on quality than on the price.

I really appreciate your help.

Matthias
Matshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
BIG CHEVY 3600
BIG CHEVY 3600 LONGBOX

Re: Which paint / primer for frame

If I couldn't get DuPont Epoxy I would use Por-15, that is if they sell it over there. If not order it from somewhere that sells it.
Here in the "land of the free" so to speak, Eastwood sells it. http://www.eastwood.com/por-15-black...int-quart.html

http://s729.photobucket.com/albums/w...cpZZ3QQtppZZ20
BIG CHEVY 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #3
OrrieG

Por-15 will need to be top coated to prevent oxidizing over time. I used Nason Chassis Black, single stage premixed. Do you mean to tell me Mercedes and Porsche are using water based paints? Don't think so. You might need to find a friend at an industrial outfit that could get you some Rustoleum type paint they uses for guard rails, etc. I can see water based for consumer items, but process type plants will still need old school stuff or full time painters.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
cajundragger

find clausen's rust defender

its orange.

I think this is it...
http://www.clausenautobody.com/prodd...=rust-defender

spray it out over bare metal...it will fill all the pits, then you can 180 than and paint or if you want it to be super sweet you can 180 it and re-prime with urethane and base/clear that.

some say urethane shrinks too much tho so you could lay over reduced epoxy over it. either way.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:32 PM   #5
cajundragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Por-15 will need to be top coated to prevent oxidizing over time. I used Nason Chassis Black, single stage premixed. Do you mean to tell me Mercedes and Porsche are using water based paints? Don't think so. You might need to find a friend at an industrial outfit that could get you some Rustoleum type paint they uses for guard rails, etc. I can see water based for consumer items, but process type plants will still need old school stuff or full time painters.
they are using water borne. all major manufactures are using it/switching to it.
cajundragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 AM   #6
OrrieG

The stuff I have been buying and using is not waterborne, but I went and looked and they do have waterborne series. Once it cures it must be just as good I guess. I know when water based latex exterior house paints first came out there was big resistance but I got 25 years out of the stuff I put on my house. Keep in mind that the paint manufacturers only have to worry about what it looks like for a short period of time, 98% of all car users only have them for a few years.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #7
Matshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
It is true and even paint shops use it, because the old paint is not allowed to be sold any longer.
All the german cars you can buy are painted water based.
That`s why I cannot get the paint I was using ten years ago.
A friend of mine is working in a body/paint shop and told me to get
something old fashioned rather than what they use today.
Matshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Jemo

On the two frames I've finished, I used Eastwood's ceramic paint that comes in an aerosol can (can't remember the name) and their primer. It worked very well and sprays really nice out of the can. Tough stuff. On the other frame, I used SPI epoxy primer and then a quart of Rustoleum paint from the hardware store. Equally as tough.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
duwem

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CHEVY 3600 View Post
If I couldn't get DuPont Epoxy I would use Por-15, that is if they sell it over there. If not order it from somewhere that sells it.
Here in the "land of the free" so to speak, Eastwood sells it. http://www.eastwood.com/por-15-black...int-quart.html
Isn't the point of POR 15 for Painting Over Rust? If he has a clean frame that has been sandblasted I would think actual primer and paint would be what you want???
duwem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
mbgmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajundragger View Post
they are using water borne. all major manufactures are using it/switching to it.
most all have a while back. We were making water based at BASF (german Company) years ago in the late 1980's when I worked their.so was PPG and others Many people still think its relatively new. its not. been around for over 20 years now. And yes the german mfg use it on their cars. Mercedes and BMW to.
Water base is a quality paint. its just the color coat is all that water based. Most small shops just have not switched so many people know nothing about it. I don't mind spraying it. Plus the mfg's do actually car if the paint lasts. Ask Gm when they had to pay to get all the hoods fixed.

Last edited by mbgmike; 10-19-2011 at 06:11 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #11
mbgmike

Originally Posted by OrrieG
I can see water based for consumer items, but process type plants will still need old school stuff or full time painters.

True for plants, if you want a durable paint quite a few plants use Carboline brand. Rust o leum is also used but Carboline paint is often used on carbon steel in high oxidizing areas.

http://www.carboline.com/
they have been making this kind of stuff for years longer than the auto related businesses. They are the original makers of rust o leum

Last edited by mbgmike; 10-19-2011 at 06:23 PM.
mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #12
dicer

All should really wake up about this paint deal. If not the day is comming you will wish you had good old rustoleum to paint with. I guess all resto guys will need to take a chemistry class soon and make our own paint. Yeah paint is bad but fukushima radiation is healthy right?
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #13
55metalmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwem View Post
Isn't the point of POR 15 for Painting Over Rust? If he has a clean frame that has been sandblasted I would think actual primer and paint would be what you want???
Not always, if you have it blasted clean you should use zinc phosphate (aka: POR metal ready) on the bare frame, then coat with POR-15, if your worried about oxidization of the POR or if it's going to get sunlight occasionally you need to top the POR with a good self etching primer or "POR tie coat primer" the top coat with the color of your choice. When I did mine I went a little over the top on rust proofing but here is what I did
1:media blast to SSPC-SP5 (Nace#1) white metal blast
2: 20-30 minute soak of zinc phosphate (metal ready)
3: two full and heavy coats of POR-15 (on rotisserie with proper dry/ tie times)
4: 2 coats of tie coat primer
5: 2 coats of top coat

For Matshark POR-15 should be available in Germany, in reality it's just moisture cured epoxy paint which meets the low VOC standard. If you can't find it POR any decent paint store should have a moisture cured epoxy paint, the only difference is brand name. One thing to note if you prep with zinc phosphate don't use a oil based paint it will cause soaponification and delaminate

As for waterbase paint it's not much different unless your trying to run a production shop, different tips and cure times but in many ways it performs better.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote