The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 09:08 PM   #1
NW_Ryker

Top Nuts broke free?

Hey guys, just went and picked up a brand new set of hardware for the top. As I was putting in the visor bolts on either side, the bolts are both broke free and spin around freely up there. It doesn't look like I can really get at them too easily, but I don't want to cut up my newly reworked top. Is there anyway I can get those things held down without destroying the top? Thanks for the help.
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #2
BlazinC5

Re: Top Nuts broke free?

Ouch, that really sucks. Unfortunatly, with the bolt still in there, you may not have much a chance to get them out. If they are new bolts and they went in fairly easy till the nut gave out, you may be able to put a screwdriver between the bolt head and pry down in hopes the nut may grab somewhere as you try to back the bolts out. But you still have the issue of the nuts not beeing solid.. So you would still most likely have to cut into the top. Sorry, for the bad news.. But I don't think there would be any other route to go on that.

My build, Restarted

05 Buell firebolt
94 1500 Z71
No rice for me,,, I'm full
BlazinC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
NW_Ryker

There's no bolts in there.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #4
brown78

So...was this a trick question?
brown78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
NW_Ryker

No, sorry it may be worded funny. I need to find a way to secure the nuts back into the top without cutting into it. Without those bolts, I don't really get a good seal and the top leaks.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
Skram

Hi glad I saw your post! I'm having the same exact problem! I'm guessing your top is a double walled one like mine? What size bolts did you get, I'm unsure about what length? I've only had my Blazer for about a month now and am still working on the small things that need tweaking. Do you bolts go in straight? Alot of mine go in on an angle? Anyone know much about that, or how to straighten? The top has got no bolts in it now and like you said mine leaks too!

Good luck with yours, I'm just heading to the hardware store now to get some bolts

Where did you get your hardware from, local store or actual aftermarket kit?
Skram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Ole Beater

I have one that broke the head off the bolt and the two rivets off the backing plate. I had the visor off the other day but i cant remember if there were rivets visible that hold the back plate. Either way im drilling into the back plate through the old rivets or through the fiberglass/plastic. Then try to put screws or rivets in the backer and work out the old bolt. I may end up drilling the old bolt out too.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Are the captive nuts still in the top? Did the rivets just give up? Other than drilling a hole to fish around in there to find the captive nuts and get them back in place then re-rivet them, I don't know what to tell you. I ran a tap into all of those bolt holes before reinstalling just to make sure they were ok. I still have some issues with the hatch hinge bolt holes. I'm going to have to re-tap them a larger size I think. Good luck with yours.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Ole Beater

On mine the rivets gave up. I can grab the exposed bolt and hold it in place and maybe drill up through the plate and try to re-anchor it.
Ole Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #10
NW_Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71cheyenne View Post
Are the captive nuts still in the top? Did the rivets just give up? Other than drilling a hole to fish around in there to find the captive nuts and get them back in place then re-rivet them, I don't know what to tell you. I ran a tap into all of those bolt holes before reinstalling just to make sure they were ok. I still have some issues with the hatch hinge bolt holes. I'm going to have to re-tap them a larger size I think. Good luck with yours.
Everything is still up there. Rivets are still anchored into the top. The nut is free but in it's little cavity.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:31 PM   #11
Bentblazer

I had the same proglem on my drivers side but the fiberglass was also broke. Still was a -itch to fix, but was able to repair from the inside. I kept a header piece from my double wall to use as a header snaps for a bikini top. Looking at it I believe it would be easier to fix from the top by cutting a hole to repair through. I know thats not what you wanted to hear but it does look easier that way (due to weather strip channel and surrounding area)
Attached Images

1930 Chevy two door rat
Bentblazer is offline   Reply With Quote