The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
blackdawg
Blackdawg

chrome emblems for 1966 chevy stepside

I wondering what chrome emblems and badging that was available for the 1966 chevy stepside, pictures would be helpfull .I know there is the c1o badging on the fenders.the chrome pillars that have the chrome that goes along the back window is for fleetsides only.I'm creating a old school hot rod but love that extra chrome that is period time.
blackdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: chrome emblems for 1966 chevy stepside

I think the only factory badge or emblem on a 66 stepside is the front fender. Deluxe trim would add chrome bumper(s) and hubcaps, windshield and sail panel trim. Beyond that period accessories would have been commonly installed by the new owner as money permitted. Chrome bumper guards were available for those that liked them. In the early 60’s - spotlights, bedrails, lake pipes white walls and wheel covers were still popular (even on pickup trucks). But by 1966 most of these doodads were considered passé depending on where in the country you lived.

By 1965 where I grew up in Northern California, chrome wheels, a Hurst shifter, Covico steering wheel, and Sun Tachometer were the must have accessories for stepside pickup trucks. Chrome side steps were also extremely popular. It seemed like almost every short bed around had chrome steps. Chrome cowl vents were also popular. Years later in the 70's and 80's it became fashionable to also have the fender extensions chromed (the cowl panel between the door and hood). I never quite grasped the concept since it certainly didn't blend in to anything. And if you had the money, a black naugahyde seat cover added real show off points (and burned your behind on a hot day). A few years later, jacking up the rear end with air shocks and adding a set of slot mags also became very popular with the pickup crowd.

Again where I lived, short bed stepsides were the only trucks that got fixed up or hot rodded. Being nearly new, long bed trucks were looked at as belonging to old people who used them for work or hauling campers.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
blackdawg
Blackdawg

Re: chrome emblems for 1966 chevy stepside

excellent thanks for the tips.
blackdawg is offline   Reply With Quote