The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Handmedown

Balancer install tool

Is there any do it yourselfer tool I can use to install harmonic balancer? I dont want to pay 65 dollars for one!! Thanks
Handmedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
454stepside
Account Suspended

Re: Balancer install tool

most of your auto parts stores should be able to rent you one and then you will get your money back when you return it minus a couple of bucks
454stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
a.c.ward

if its a small block chevy, you can pick up some fine thread 7/16 all thread bolt from your local bolt and screw supply house, about a 12 inch piece will do. get some large washers while you are there, probably about 10 or so. get 3 fine thread nuts also. Line up the harmonic balancer with the crank, putting on as far as possible by hand. lube up the exposed crank snout with some wheel bearing grease, dont go crazy with it, just a film will do. Thread the all thread into the crank as far as possible, stack up the original harmonic balancer washer on first, then put a film of grease on the washers that you bought, stacking them on the all thread against the original bolt. thread one of the washers on the all thread tightening against the stack of washers. take the remaining two nuts and install them near the end of the all thread, locking them together to aid in holding and later removing the all thread. tighten the nut near the washers until the harmonic balancer is all the way in. total money spent: less than $5, at least at my local bolt and washer supply house.

let us know if this works.

I know that the local box auto parts store will "rent" an installer for about $20, use it, return it, get your money back.

66 El Camino

67 SWB underwent major Surgery- http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=776475
a.c.ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #4
cdowns

when looking at buying a tool i've always looked at having it the rest of my life then handingitdown to the next generation to follow// guess alot dont think that way now
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
tow guys

cdowns, my thoughts exactly. I have always been of the mindset that I'd rather own a decent tool rather than rent a crappy one. We all know those tools that Autozone and the like rent are not very good in most cases. I much prefer to have tools on hand for the next time I need them. I find many uses for most tools once they're in the garage arsenal.
To each his own, that's just me
tow guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #6
chillware

i bought my installer tool used on ebay for about $20, works great!
Old 10-29-2011, 10:11 PM   #7
pat 70/71

We chevy truck&car types will always use pullers/ balancer tools. I like everyone else try to buy the best tooling I can afford because we use them over and over again. cheers, Pat P.S. no harbor freight tools in my tool box.
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I'm a die hard Snap-On guy but this is one tool I use a lesser brand on with good results. This is the exact one I have. Works very well.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66515/
Old 10-31-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
cableguy0

This is the one I use. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog . Works great. Plus im not limited to only gm engines. However I accepted a long time ago that I would be basically making a car payment to the Snap on man every month with a weekly payment between 50-100 bucks.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote