The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
hairlesshobo

Question about rear interior paneling

The truck that I am restoring only has any half of the interior panels in it right now and I am trying to figure what out what is missing in each place. Currently there is no paneling behind the seats, but it appears that there is meant to be something due to screw holes that are back there. Currently both rear speakers are exposed and the entire rear wall is bare metal. I have an 84 swb 2 door cab. Could anyone point me in the direction of either an exploded view of cab interior paneling, or maybe some pictures of what the paneling looks like in the rear?

Thanks!

-Steve
Posted via Mobile Device
hairlesshobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Motodrew

Re: Question about rear interior paneling

I don't believe there was any carpet or paneling installed behind the seat. There was a cardboard like tray that slipped into place to store items and keep them from rolling around however. I don't think there were any screws holding it in place though.

'85 Silverado, 4x4, SB 350.

Keep them beavers grinnin' and them wheels a spinnin'!

Motodrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
hairlesshobo

Oh ok, I just assumed that there was since the carpet in the back slides up really easily because there is nothing holding it down. I kinda figured that there was paneling to cover the rear speakers and to hold the floor carpet down in the back. Maybe what you are referring to is what was used to hold the carpet.

If that's the case, can we get some pictures of what other people have done to cover up the back. The previous owner covered the back of the truck with Dynamat. Since I have installed bucket seats there is nothing covering the dynamat, so as you can imagine.. it looks like ass like it is. I would love to see what others have done to make the back wall of their truck look better when using bucket seats/captain chairs.
hairlesshobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
THE "10" SILVERADO

Carpet was only installed on the trucks with bucket seats. other than that I know they had a cardboard backing, that's what was on mine. Classic Parts sells them for like $70 dollars.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
OJOE
Crew Cut

if rod doors is still around they have a kit
06 CHEV TAHOE (WIFES)
30 MODEL A HOT ROD
07 HARLEY DAVIDSON BAGGER
09 STREET GLIDE
AN D A LOT MORE JUNK
OJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
hairlesshobo

Thanks guys. I didn't even think about the fact that most of these trucks came with bench seats which covers the back up completely. I would love to see some pics of what others have done to cover the back wall.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

Here is what i did on my 73. Rear panel is covered in the same material as the headliner, speaker brackets painted to match along with all the headiner trim and dash pad.
Attached Images

bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
hairlesshobo

Very nice, I like it alot! That looks MUCH better than what mine looks like right now. The best thing to look at on mine is the amps that are bolted to the back wall, but that doesn't quite cut it lol.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 AM   #9
bigblock73
yeller

Thanks!

I own/run 73-87.com, and make these brackets. There is a link in my signature if you want to read up on them.

If I were you, I would slide the amps behind the seats, too distracting and will stand out too much...and possibly invite thieves to take a closer lookat your truck.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
hairlesshobo

Yeah, I quickly edited my post once I read your signature. I guess I couldn't read it fast enough to keep from looking like a jackass lol. These boxes are DEFINITELY high on my todo list for my truck. I hate those stupid 4x10s or whatever the heck they are that are in it now. You can't find a set that actually sound even remotely decent anywhere.

As for the amps, most of what I have is behind my passenger seat, but I need to slide my other amp behind the driver seat. With the things I am planning for my truck, eventually I will have no choice but to have the stuff in the middle, but that won't be for a while yet.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #11
homemade87

Heres what I did with mine. Only took one yard of carpet. I put it on a 1/8" panel and tucked it behind the speakers. I had the shop sew a hem on the top and botton. I put it up with velco. No screw holes .
Attached Images

homemade87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
SeanPaintsFlames

That velcro is a good idea.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM   #13
hairlesshobo

That looks very clean. Now I have to decide which method I want to go with.. Thanks for all the responses everyone!