The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-31-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
krazy_texan

Cant bleed brakes

ok so i know my truck is a 65 but i am posting here as well as the 60-66 forum simply because this forum sees more traffic but this is where i am at. I just put an entire new brake system on the truck and i literally replaced everything. so i am at a loss here i have exhausted all options possible and yes i have done numerous searches on this forum and on the net and cant come up with a single way to do this i can not for the life of me figure out how to bleed these brakes. I have tried the vacuum pumps i have tried the old fashioned way, and i have tried making the homemade pressure bleeder my problem with it is that i can not get it to seal on top of the master cylinder and i have tried makeing numerous types of caps for it. So please for the life of me someone help me out throw out your options or opinions or what have you cause i am at a loss right now and now that i am trying to park my car for the crappy season i am really needing my truck.
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #2
Lee H

Re: Cant bleed brakes

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before beginning at the wheels?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #3
z10kl

Just went through this. My mity vac would not pull the air out of the lines to get the fluid to come. I wound up using a childs medicine syringe to fill the lines. Then i had my wife pump the peddle and was done in 15 minutes.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
krazy_texan

where exactly did you fill the lines with the syringe at, did you do it at the bleeder screws?
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 10-31-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
z10kl

Well after I spent parts of two days trying to get it to the rear I finally got it to the rear hose. I couldn't get it to pump with the pedal or pull it with the mity vac. I put a piece of vacume hose on the syringe and on the rear bleeder. I opened the other side and about three squirts and it came out the bleeder. The next time I will fill the lines from the front where they come out of the proportion valve. Now they will still be some small pockets of air where you take lines apart to pump it in. But at least then you can move it by pumping the pedal. Then you can bleed them normally.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:09 PM   #6
krazy_texan

well i dont have a proportioning valve cause mine is running a non power drum/drum setup but i will fill the lines from where they connect to the master cylinder and then reconnect them and see what happens from there. I figure that it might be a little bit of a lengthy process but sounds like it will work pretty good.
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 10-31-2011, 10:52 PM   #7
Husker

I had a problem bleeding mine one time, must have tried at least 5 times and the pedal still pushed all the way to floor. The problem I had was the rear brake shoes were adjusted to far from drum. Once I tightened them up it worked first time.
Don't know if this will help.
Ron
Member #111
68 C-10 Daily Driver
70 4x4 Project
76 Jeep CJ-5

Help Support the Board:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/payments.php

He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
Thomas Jefferson
Husker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 PM   #8
krazy_texan

i will check that to thanks for the input i think i have run into that once before when bleeding brakes i should have known to do it while the tires where still off the truck
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 10-31-2011, 11:16 PM   #9
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Just did my 68 drum drum this summer. I replaced all the shoes and wheel cylinders, spring kits, turned the drums, new master cylinder and the rubber hoses. The hoses is usually a forgotten item but they swell internally and block the fluid to the wheels.

I did the pressure method:
1. Bench bled the master cylinder as per instructions (important)
2. Placed hose on drivers side bleed valve and placed into glass container with a few inches of fluid in it.
3. Had wife help (she hates it)
4. Slowly depress pedal and loosen the bleed valve.
5. Hold the pedal down, close the bleed valve, then release pedal.
6. Repeat until no bubbles in fluid.
7. Repeat on passenger rear, passenger front and drives front.

Be aware that new master cylinders may be defective. Internal seals leaking. I've had two brand new I had to return.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
lil hoodlum

I had a real bear of a time bleeding my girls hydrolic clutch. Nothing seemed to work. I was positive there was an air pocket that just was not moving under normal pedal type bleeding.

I used a turkey injector with a small hose. Installed the hose onto the bleeder valve(it's under the truck near the clutch), opened bleeder valve slightly, and depressed plunger on injector. I did this by myself with no one to help or to depress the clutch pedal. When I depressed the plunger I could hear the bubbles come up and out of the clutch master cylinder. I just did it 2 or 3 times and all was good. I haven't had a problem with her clutch for 3 or 4 months now.

The turkey injector holds around 3 or 4 ounces of fluid. You should try it begining with the rear drivers side. It should fill your brake lines with fluid and dispell air out through the master cylinder. Next move onto the rear passenger side the onto the front brakes. My girlfriend and I have litterally spent hours trying to bleed her clutch system only to get marginal results at best. Truck was a 1991 chevy with 5 speed manual.

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
krazy_texan

ya i am going to try something along that line cause if i get under the truck i can hear it trying to pump through the hose but still nothing.
1990 v1500 suburban

Old 11-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #12
lil hoodlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_texan View Post
ya i am going to try something along that line cause if i get under the truck i can hear it trying to pump through the hose but still nothing.
Do it. Sounds like you must have either alot of air in the brake lines and/ or a massive air pocket that doesn't want to budge. The best part was I did it with out any assistance. It truely was a one man job and it has fixed it for good!

Good luck!

Keith
lil hoodlum is offline   Reply With Quote