The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
tex_waco_usmc
Project Heaven in my 67!!!

Someone please help...May have messed up bad!!!

So, I am going to tell you a story...It might be tragic but I am hoping not.

In 2003 I had a great man, Ed, who used to own MotherTruckers, build me a solid small window cab for my 67 as the one on Heaven was completely and utterly unrepairable from the amount of rust she had...Some of you I am sure knew Ed and had dealings with him before we lost him a few years ago...I drove to Bradenton, FL and picked it up...I gave Ed the cab off of my truck along with an old beatup fleetside bed that I had(also, eaten alive with rust) as part of the deal along with a great sum of money. But, this cab is perfect and has a few extras that I wanted as well as it came painted inside and out.

OK, so I just realized that this cab has no VIN plates on it and mine went with the old cab, cause I was STUPID and didnt think about taking them off of it. By now I am sure that, that cab is long gone to a crusher and is probably reliving its new life as a Honda or something.

Here comes the tricky part...As part of my restomod I have pretty much replaced everything except the frame from that original truck...The frame still has the VIN stamped in it. Who can I call or Where would I go in TX to get new VIN plates made for my truck? Is it even possible? Someone please tell me that I am not completely screwed on this...
tex_waco_usmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
truckdude239

Re: Someone please help...May have messed up bad!!!

call your dmv i would sa they can tell you what to do

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckdude239 View Post
call your dmv i would sa they can tell you what to do
And use an assumed name. The DMV can most likely setup a new VIN or a substitute. Gather all the records you can about your truck. It might take a while and some work, but there is usually a way to fix this.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
sanford66

Call the DMV. I had an 83 Camaro Z-28 that i bought from out of state. I went to get it inspected and they could not read the vin plate thru the windshield, it was rusted badly! Took it to the State Troopers HQ in Topeka. They confirmed the vin # on the frame and made me up a replacement aluminum vin plate and attached it to the driver side door jamb, they did all this while i waited, took about a half hour. I don't think it cost much either, don't remember tho, it's been a while back. Hope this helps and good luck! Joseph
1954 Delray 2-door sedan [rat rod project]
sanford66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
tex_waco_usmc

I definetly feel better now! I am hoping that it is an easy process! I will post a thread and let you guys know what happens when I get it taken care of.
Old 10-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
mrhino
Account Suspended

I had the exact same problem, unfortunatly for me I'm in Indiana, and the DMV wouldnt even talk to me about it. they just kept tell me I needed a Title to do anything. unless I called it a custom manufactured Vehicle or a home built vehicle something like that. I would need all kinds of receipts. and affidavits plus police inspections. It was easier to find a new title and vinplate. hope you have better luck than i did.
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
tex_waco_usmc

I have title in hand, just no VIN tags...I am hoping that with that it wont be too hard to get new plates made up...
Old 10-26-2010, 10:03 AM   #8
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

I would go and ask them about new VIN tags, tell them you are not sure where they went after you did the paint/body work. It will work in your favor that the frame has the VIN that your title has too. Dont freak out, My dad did it and the people at the local DMV office were most helpful, the officer that came to look at it wasnt at all though.

If you have nothing to hide ( which it doent sound like you do) you should be OK.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
woodwright
Enjoying left field

I would still be cautious. My brother in law almost lost an MG because the PO had removed the tags for paint. My BIL riveted the tags back on and went to transfer the title, and they threatened to impound it. They wouldn't let him transfer the title and he ended up selling it back to the PO. Just be careful. It might be helpful to find someone in your area that has dealt with a similar issue. Then you can get an idea on what the local licensing office is like.

70 Chevy 4WD "Ultimate Work Truck" SOLD
woodwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

But before you go and tell the "powers that be" all about this, just Google the hell out of it and see what you come up with in similar stories...it may just keep your options open to be a little forewarned.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 10-26-2010 at 11:56 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
bguild

Yes each state has different laws regarding this.. I would guess since you have the title and the frame with the vin stamped you will most likely be okay.. Not to say it might be a big pain in the arse to get but I think you can get it. I would go to the state DMV site and search for the questions there or just call the DMV and tell them the issue. I called about a car to try to get a lost title and they said the only way to get it here in MO was to go to the court and try to have the judge issue you the title in your name.. I decided to not buy the car... Since you have the title i think you will be in alot better situation. GOOD LUCK.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #12
tex_waco_usmc

Just wanted to post an update it has been a long road trying to track down the right way to do this. But, alas I have found the right way to do this (at least in the state of TX) I figured this might be valuable information to share with everyone living in TX.

I called the TxDMV Regional Service Center in Waco, TX and talked with a very helpful lady who passed on the following information to me.

1. Title must be in your name
2. Call your local Auto Task Force (They should be co-located with your sheriffs department) and schedule an appointment for them to come and look at the truck or to take the truck in for them to inspect (The one in Coryell county will come to my workshop and inspect it there).
(I already called them and they said as soon as I get home let them know and they will come out the next available time.)
3. If no issues are found and the frame VIN matches the title then they will issue you a FORM 68A
4. Take your newly issued FORM 68A to the TxDMV Regional Service Center in your area (mine happens to be in Waco). They will issue a VIN tag and fix it to the truck using the proper rivets.

My guess is that it will probably not look like the original, however, as we are all trying to do this the right way I am not too much worried about what it looks like. I am more worried that later on down the road they dont try and take my truck away from me.

If anyone needs the number to the Regional Service Center in Waco I can provide that to you, just PM me. I hope this helped!

Chris
Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #13
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

One thing I strongly suggest is do not have the cab on the frame, if they get a wild hair somewhere they will take the entire truck if it is together, if the cab is by its self and you have title to the frame portion, they wont touch that.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
tex_waco_usmc

Oh they will catch hell trying to take the entire truck. I have the bed off and the entire rear suspension off in pieces as I am working on a new rearend for it. So if they wanted to take the truck they would have lots and lots of fun trying to take it! LOL, but I spoke with the gentleman in HOT and because of my history with the truck and all of the paperwork that I have he said there will be no issues, he just has to verify that the frame VIN and the title VIN match...
Old 11-01-2011, 05:17 PM   #15
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Keep all your paperwork on this for the next owner
Posted via Mobile Device
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
VA72C10
VA72C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Good advice as usual
Old 11-01-2011, 05:32 PM   #17
tex_waco_usmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I dont plan on it having a next owner but I will keep the paperwork just in case