The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
k1rodeoboater

anyone have a good pic of a stock or modern radio that fits?

!nyone got a good pic of a stock radio or modern radio that fits our trucks? If you have a pic of what the radio opening looks like I can assess how much damage the PO did to my dash

My trucks PO partially hacked my dash to fit a modern 2 post radio. In order to repair it I would have to cut out enough material that I can fit a modern DIN radio in there. I do have a repair piece I cut out of a truck in a junkyard, so I can always reverse it later.

If there is a modern radio that would fit and cover where the PO hacked it I would rather go that route than cut more. I may also get a piece of door kick plate and cut that to fit as a "faceplate" to cover the gap.
Posted via Mobile Device

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
Surfdaddy

Re: anyone have a good pic of a stock or modern radio that fits?

I have the same problem and really don't know how to go about solving it. This will be interesting to see how it comes about.
1966 Caprice 2dr
1970 VW Squareback
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Barney Rubble

got any pics of your dash as it is?
Barney Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
ol Curt

My dad hacked mine, but I made a plate and fit a factory am radio in.
ol Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #5
Blake_H

One of these may help you out tremendously. They can cover up a lot of damage done to the dashes in our trucks. Plus it will help you line up where your DIN sized radio will go if there is nothing to mount it to in the factory sheet metal. You can screw, tack weld, etc. the back plate over the damaged area and use the trim ring to hide the damage to dash bezel.

In the olden days, when I did car audio we always used one of these to cut dashes and doors. I just bought another one to use on the stereo install of my crew cab. It works good for the price, but I miss my Snap-on Blue Point saw that someone decided they needed more than I did. You can find those on eBay as well for around $100.00 +/-.

Hope this helps you out.
Blake_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #6
Blake_H

If you want, I have 2 trucks that I can snap a photo of for you if you want. One has the stock ACDelco unit in it and the other is aforementioned crew cab that is torn apart at the moment, but has been cut for a CD player.

I can get them for you tomorrow when I get home. Let me know.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
k1rodeoboater

This is the best pic I got at the moment...I can snap another one tonight when I swing by my storage unit. I took that radio out a week after I took that photo. The only other pic I have of the interior is from the for sale ad, and it's worse.

Blake that would be awesome if you could snap a pic of the 2 post one.

no garage, no shop, limited storage space and tools....no problem.
k1rodeoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:22 PM   #8
Blake_H

Okay, now after seeing your photos, what I suggested in principle will work, but not those exact parts. I missed that you have a '60-'66 truck. I have all '86's with 1 having the dash cut and the other 2 stock radios.

So let's see if any of the following will help you out. I have a Pioneer shaft style radio and I took some measurements of it to see if one similar will help you.

The radio itself.

Measurement of the main body.

Top to bottom

The distance between shafts. Outside to outside of the top of the shafts.

Faceplate length

Faceplate height.

Now for what it's worth, this Pioneer came from the same era, early '90's that Kenwood had there KRC-1006 thru 3006 radios that I put in all the time when I did car audio at the same time. They come up on eBay fairly frequently. Also, Alpine and JVC had models that we did also. They are rare, but there was an Alpine that just showed up on eBay a couple of weeks ago. The Kenwoods gave us the least amount of trouble for fit and sounded decent for the time. Kenwood's faceplate also was one of the larger ones and there shafts were adjustable which may help you out more.

As for the hole, if it is too big you are on the right track with the metal graft. When someone came to us with a damaged dash, we would clean up the edges and take a flat sheet of textured ABS plastic, 1/8" thick and cut it to fit and polish the edges. We used ABS because we were paid by the job and it was quicker and easier. Not always the best looking but most dasheds were made of some type of plastic and blended in well enough. When we would get a truck like yours we would still do that if asked, but at the time most people wanted them cut for CD players or DIN tape decks with changer controllers. How's that for dating myself? Anyway, It will have to be something like that, or the metal, to cover the hole unless you want replace that section of the dash with a graft of a good dash. At that point it might be easier to replace the dash with a good one. Sounds easy, right?

Here is the photo that I promised of my dash uncut with an ACDelco radio in it. Not that it will help you too much. The Delco unit still works great and the wire is for my tape adapter to my Ipod.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #9
ixnay

I'm putting a stock AM into my rig as we speak. I'll take a photo with tape measure and send it off. My dash is uncut.

MJH
ixnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:42 PM   #10
ixnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixnay View Post
I'm putting a stock AM into my rig as we speak. I'll take a photo with tape measure and send it off. My dash is uncut.

MJH
Here's the dash board. I'll send a radio shot later today.

MJH
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
truckfan

I'll watch this. i have a 77 w/ a stock dash. there is a real shortage of the old "3 hole" radios. wish i had saved all those Delcos i pulled out in the 80s and 90s
Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #12
ixnay

As promised.
Attached Images