The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2005, 09:02 AM   #1
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

Unhappy HELP! Truck won't stop (starter stays on)! *Update*

I am having a problem with my truck, and I'm stumped:

This morning, I started my truck and drove to daycare with no problems. After I came back out, I started the truck and the starter kept turning after the engine had come on. I turned the key off and on a couple of times and it stopped. I decided to head back home and take my bike to work. When I got home, I decided to give the truck another try, so I turned it off, then restarted it. This time, the starter stayed on, but no amount of key wiggling would get it to disengage. Also, turning the key to "Off" didn't kill the engine. After about 30 seconds of this, I started to smell something very hot and electrical. I decided that letting my truck catch fire was a bad idea, so I ended up having to jump out and disconnect the neg terminal and pull the coil wire to get the engine to turn off.

The first thing I thought is that the ignition switch went bad, but I felt around and the switch and wires coming out the back weren't hot at all. If anybody has any ideas, I sure could use some help!

Thanks

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."

Last edited by jtminton; 06-14-2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Update
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Its probably the solenoid on the starter or the gear that drives the flywheel. Once you turn the switch to start, the solenoid engages which throws the drive gear out to the flywheel and starts turning the starter. When you put the switch to run, a spring in the solenoid is supposed to push the drive gear back and open the contacts to stop the starter from turning. Usually a bad solenoid will just not throw out the gear which then doesn't do anything, but sometimes, a weak spring or just gunk on the throw out gear drive and throw out mechanism will prevent the shutdown.

Its a pretty easy fix.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
jtminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes

Its a pretty easy fix.

HG
Thanks!

So I drop the starter, pull the solenoid and then. . .

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

Old 06-13-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
knsmodels
I make Models

I would replace the solenoid and have the starter checked/rebuilt since you said you where starting to smell smoke from electrical just as a precaution.

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Pull the starter, check how or if the gear drive moves in and out, remove the solenoid and check the spring. Probably just need to replace the drive (bendix available at most parts stores) and possibly the solenoid. I don't think they are to aweful expensive to just do it. Same with replacing the whole starter as far as that goes. A rebuilt unit should come with new solenoid also.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:42 PM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

With the smell of ozone (the electrical motor smell) I would just as soon replace the whole starter.
However, keep your neg terminal loose, and if it happens again, then be ready to jump out and unhook the battery. If it does this, then it's time to replace the ignition switch.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #7
jtminton

Update!

So I pulled the starter and it was bad. Got a new one from Autozone ($40) and spent 3 hours (9:30-12:30am) trying to get the bolts started. I feel like I've been doing bench presses all night. Never could get it on, caught a ride into work with a buddy.

Anybody have any tips? I just can't seem to get it bolted on. I can get the bottom right (looking at it from the front) to start easy. I think I cross threaded the bottom left. I can't get the longer top one to start at all.

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

Old 06-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #8
jtminton

Update On The Update

I got tired of messing with it, and took the new starter back to autozone to compare the mounting bracket part with the old starter. Turns out, the new starter had about 1/4 of metal that should have been milled off, but wasn't. This made it impossible to align the holes. I returned it, but they didn't have any more in stock.

I got my old starter back and went to O'Reilly's. They had a reman lifetime warranty for the same price (Ultima $39.99). The mounting part looked just right. The sales guy also realized it was a mislabeled reman ACDelco starter ($96.99), but gave me the Ultima price. Got it home, and it bolted up in less than 10 minutes.

Starts like a dream!

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

Old 06-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #9
Zumo
Hot Rods For Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtminton
I got tired of messing with it, and took the new starter back to autozone to compare the mounting bracket part with the old starter. Turns out, the new starter had about 1/4 of metal that should have been milled off, but wasn't. This made it impossible to align the holes. I returned it, but they didn't have any more in stock.

I got my old starter back and went to O'Reilly's. They had a reman lifetime warranty for the same price (Ultima $39.99). The mounting part looked just right. The sales guy also realized it was a mislabeled reman ACDelco starter ($96.99), but gave me the Ultima price. Got it home, and it bolted up in less than 10 minutes.

Starts like a dream!

Isn't that crazy how that worked out. Always seems to be that way when you reall yneed something fixed.
Los Muertos Custom Bicycles
Zumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

too much starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
With the smell of ozone (the electrical motor smell) I would just as soon replace the whole starter.
However, keep your neg terminal loose, and if it happens again, then be ready to jump out and unhook the battery. If it does this, then it's time to replace the ignition switch.
Andy's right and I agree that you probably smelled the starter windings if it was engaged very long. The reason the key switch didn't kill the engine is because the R terminal wire on the solenoid feeds the coil during starting.
Another good reason to go to HEI.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #11
Jon Scully

Re: HELP! Truck won't stop (starter stays on)!

I just encountered a similar problem: wiht one variation: I went to start my 1971 blazer and i smelled the burn right in the cab immediatly and now the starter will stay engaged if I try to start it.

Does this mean it is likely the ignition switch? or am I still in the starter /solenoid replacment category (IT is a new reman starter with only a couple thousand miles on it).

PLEASe any advice welcome-- I am having a rough week lol-- The starter just went on my daily driver crown vic, and I bought an s10 to replace (see my posts in the engine and s10 area for this one)
- and now have 3 dead vehicles, a full time job and single dad duties ---- Need to get one of them running lol
Jon Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
webfoot

I fought with the same problem for awhile before I realized the mounting flange needed to be ground off.

1970 K-20 4-speed, factory AC.
webfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Jon Scully

Thanks,

SO-- Do you think I have an ignition switch issue ( I smelled bruning i there) or....a starter solenoid issue?

Thanks,

Jon
Jon Scully is offline   Reply With Quote