The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
Malamute

Need a little help

My neighbor has a '69 swb c10. Been painted once years ago and will need paint but metal is straight and rust free. Has a 400 w/ 700r4 tranny. Interior is rough too. Has all trim which is in good shape too.

He wants $5,500 but I'd like a little help on the price. I know without seeing it(don't have pics now) it's hard to say but I'd just like to get some thoughts. I'm thinking $4,500 btw.

Initially my thought was to do a complete restore but if I start with a truck like this I'm thinking more along the lines of a shop truck/patina but I'm not sure how that will work with the forest green paint.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I can try to get some more info on the truck if needed. I've only looked at it once and I'm just kicking the idea around at this time, he doesn't have it listed for sale and is only thinking about it because his wife wants it gone.

Thanks.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Need a little help

Everyone wants to make at least some of the money and time they put into their trucks. Can't always get what you want but it doesn't hurt to try. I've seen some of these trucks for sale for years and I've seen go fairly fast. Just depends on how bad a person wants it.

I would look in the trucks for sale forum on this site and see what the guys are asking for similar trucks. Also, look on ebay and/or craigs. You'll find that it varies greatly from person to person. If you think he's asking too much and you like the truck, make him an offer.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I agree with the make an offer.The market is pretty soft right now and sellers are a lot more common than buyers.That said,it sounds like he's got enough truck he's not planning on giving it away.Offer less than you're willing to go and meet somewhere mutually agreeable moneywise.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

is it worth $5500?
If yes, then buy it, if not, find another short wheel base truck with a V8/overdrive (assuming you like that combination) and rustfree and buy that one.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:10 AM   #5
8door
Not too old to learn

Hey man ,this is easy. He wants $5500 you will pay $4500.
Offer that then you talk about the difference,now your only
talking $1000 not $5.5k or $4.5k. Think about it.
But first go back look at again.
Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #6
Malamute

Thanks for the input. If if get serious enough I'll definitely make him an offer, I was just trying to get an idea of what a clean body with the 400/700r4 combo may be worth. I've been browsing the classifieds on this site, craigslist and ebay for over two months as well but it's hard to compare with something you've never seen in person.

My dilemma is that a HS friend of mine that I caught up with on fb has a nice '72 lwb that he may be selling. He's in another state and is on the road a lot so I don't have any info on it and have no idea what he wants for it. I may wait until I have a chance to talk with him about his truck.

I did find this in searching a bit..................he also owns that nice green suburban in the other video.

Thanks for the input.

Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 02:35 AM   #7
Mike Bradbury

If you look you can find one cheaper, but that might take a while. If you are looking to get into a project now and can afford it then buy it, but $5500 is a lot to pay if you are going to tear it all down and rebuild it.
I bought mine from the original owner for $700, no rust, newer 350 crate motor, very good interior. I stumbled upon a great deal but so could you.

Project: Barn Raising http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=414961

Project: 30 Be Low https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=830583
Mike Bradbury is offline   Reply With Quote