The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
trifive chevy

66 GMC 1/2 ton upper control arms

This may be the wrong place for this question but i cant find any info on how to rebuild upper & lower control arms. can anyone tell me or post pictures ! I have done a lot of the newer style but never any of these. i'm in the process of doing a frame off restoration on a 66 GMC 1/2 ton 2wd fleet side. thanks for any help.
trifive chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM   #2
XtechX

Re: 66 GMC 1/2 ton upper control arms

Good to see another michigander on here! I think you may be the closest person to me on the whole sit......lol. Anyways, are you upgrading to disc brakes or are you just going to rebuild back to stock specs?
Old 11-05-2011, 05:07 AM   #3
NorthstarGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtechX View Post
Good to see another michigander on here! I think you may be the closest person to me on the whole sit......lol.
I'm about as close

As for the control arms. They are dead ass simple. You're going to have to be more specific with your question.

The ball joints are pressed and the arm is mounted with a double eyed bolt that has shims behind it for alignment.

If you're taking it apart BE CAREFUL with the sprung weight on the arms. You'll want the lower arm on a jack stand when you pickle fork the knuckle off the ball joints. Then raise it up slow and pull the spring.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
SCOTI

Upper ball joints get the rivets drilled out & the new assemblies bolt in. Lower BJ's = press the old out & new in.

The upper/lower shaft bushings are threaded & consist of a steel sleeve w/rubber liner. The end caps un-screw to remove the bushings & install is threading them back on. Try to center the shaft when re-installing the end-caps/bushings (try to thread them on equally when comparing the F/R of each end of the shaft).

Don't torque them to spec until the full weight of the truck is on the suspension.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote