The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > S10 S15 Luv Blazer

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
rustyrodknocker

4 banger

Hi guys I have been thinking about a s10 lately. Started looking for a v8 blazer.then thought about a 4.3 for some decent mileage. So that got me thinking about the 4cyl. I dont know what they are or anything sbout them. Someone on here called it an iron duke. Are they actually an iron duke? That would definetly get my attention. I have always wanted one. I am at a total lack if knowledge on these small rigs. Thanks for any feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Jon Scully

Re: 4 banger

Here's the quick answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine

and yes, my 1986 s10 has the ironduke tbi: So named because GM did not want it confused with the earlier all aluminum 4 bangers from the 70's....

Tough little engine, I worked in forklift shop where these (or a variation) were standrad in toyota forklifts in the 80's.....

I hope to get myine up and rinning soon-- but from what I hear you can get ~30mpg with one in an s10

Jon
Jon Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #3
Jon Scully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Scully View Post
Here's the quick answer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Iron_Duke_engine

and yes, my 1986 s10 has the ironduke tbi: So named because GM did not want it confused with the earlier all aluminum 4 bangers from the 70's....

Tough little engine, I worked in forklift shop where these (or a variation) were standrad in toyota forklifts in the 80's.....

I hope to get myine up and rinning soon-- but from what I hear you can get ~30mpg with one in an s10

Jon
oh typos....must proof read
Jon Scully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
rustyrodknocker

I found the wiki right after i posted last night. it stated that many people confuse this engine with the 153. which is exactly what I was doing. Your story about the name reminded me what the point of the name was in the first place.
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
Zane M

The four cylinder will get you decent mileage, but it will be pretty lacking in the power department.
The difference a 4.3 will give over an 8 cylinder will be nominal(unless you are talking about a built 8 cylinder).
My wife and I bought a '02 Blazer with the thought milage would be better than a Tahoe. We get about 15-17 MPG out of the Blazer. We should have bought the Tahoe because the extra room would have been worth losing a couple of MPG.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote