The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
El Campo

Little known engine building tips?

I'm sure a lot of guys out there know a lot about engines and things that some of the rest of us have never heard about. Wondering if people would want to post up little known tricks to make more power/reliability or a combination of the two. Especially in regards to big blocks. Not asking for recommendations on brands or kinds of heads or rotating assemblies. Asking about things like: porting oil pump, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
mbgmike

Re: Little known engine building tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Campo View Post
I'm sure a lot of guys out there know a lot about engines and things that some of the rest of us have never heard about. Wondering if people would want to post up little known tricks to make more power/reliability or a combination of the two. Especially in regards to big blocks. Not asking for recommendations on brands or kinds of heads or rotating assemblies. Asking about things like: porting oil pump, etc
Posted via Mobile Device
sounds good but not sure many builders want to give away much info. Best way is to be around race motor builders and maybe you can get them talking.
But I don't think many will give away anything that is not already known by most. Good luck . I hope they do we always welcome info to build faster motors

mbgmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
El Campo

Even in just things like reliability. I don't mind not making any more power than I already do but would like to have some degree of reliability for example, if running mechanical roller shall I put oil restrictors in to keep oil out of my roller rockers? Thanks for any input
Posted via Mobile Device
72 Chevy SWB: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=486626 (Attempt/Mistake #2)
2003 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide with 2007 Street Bob front end
2000 Ford F350 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB, 310,000 miles running great (STOLEN St. Patricks Day 2014 AND NEVER RECOVERED)
2002 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4WD CCLB (To replace stolen one)
Hook em Horns!!!
El Campo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:12 PM   #4
PGSigns

The biggest thing to making power is a good combination. I have seen a lot of motors over the years that folks thought would fly and were pigs. Good cylinder heads with cam intake and carb to match will make good power. Taking time to plan the entire package from engine to trany to the rear gear and tire size will always help. Some of the most common mistakes I see folks make are cams and carbs that are to big for the combination and vehicle they are in. The biggest secret to making power that I have is a relationship with my local race engine shop. All auto machine shops will be happy to take your money, a good race engine shop will be able to make more power with that money. Let them know what you need a motor do do when done and be ready to listen to what they have to say. I have used the same one for the last 20 plus years and have always been happy with what came off the dyno.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
moggey01

A little tip that was already mentioned . Smaller intake port volume and carb intake combo helps when filling a cylinder in a heavy vehicle. Bigger stuff can make power on a dyno, but accelerating a truck is a differant story. There are alot of "tricks" , honing is a big one. There is alot of power in ring packages and hone finishes when turning an engine 10,000 rpms LOL Ring seal is a big deal at high rpms, ummmm heres another the light weight valve train theory goes out the window, with crazy spring pressures people are using 9/16 pushrods ,no lightened rocker arms , way bigger cam cores,etc. Its about stability. Synthetic oils help, people are using smaller bearing surfaces [Honda journals] to get rid of friction. Trying stuff at the race track is the best test for carburetors. Hope this helps.
moggey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #6
INSIDIOUS '86

glyptal your exhoust ports to make them smooth. smokey yunick did this back in the day when porting wasnt allowed, run a big block oil pump in a sbc and get more consistant pressure with high voluume, a black engine dissapates more heat when coated in black glyptal, softer adv spings in your hei sqaure port intak on peanut port heads etc..
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote