The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
briank

67-72 am/fm wiring help

Just purchased an original 67-72 am/fm truck radio and am planning to install in my '68. The back of the radio has a place to plug a connector in to it but I do not have that connector as my truck previously had an aftermarket spliced in. So what wires go where? Gotta be pretty simple as there is only speaker wires, power and an antenna but I don't want to mess up the radio. So which prong on the connector does each wire attch to? Thanks, Brian
briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
briank

Re: 67-72 am/fm wiring help

Also a question about the antenna. Is the antenna powered or does it act as a ground? I tested another radio that wouldn't fit in the dash before in this same truck and it would not work unless the antenna was plugged in to it even with the power wire. On the early 67-72 radios is there a plug for the antenna to plug into or does it just push into the openening with a set screw to hold it?
Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
briank

Figured the antenna issue out but cannot get the radio to play, it powers up but no sound either am or fm side. Am I doing something wrong? I have the power hooked up, then there are two other wires on the back of the radio a green and a black, do those both go to the two speaker wires??? Help, this is driving me crazy, if the radio was bad it wouldn't even power up right???
Old 11-01-2011, 12:41 PM   #4
thelonerife

The green and black are speaker wires. You will need an original 8 or 9 ohm speaker. I forget which it is. If you don't its a possibility that you'll ruin the radio. Make sure your radio is grounded by the mounting hardware and screwed to it good. If you need a pic of the harness plug I'll get one. just pm me.
thelonerife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
dracko

www.turnswitch.com sells an exact replica speaker of the 10 ohm AC Delco speakers that were in 67-72 trucks for $40.. If you have the factory original mounting bracket you're good to go.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote