The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
ChrisCostlow

Single-wall vs double-wall hardtops - Which years?

Which year Blazers/Jimmies had single-wall hardtops and which years had double? I've looked everywhere but here and can't find an answer.

Thanks!
ChrisCostlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
ChrisCostlow

Re: Single-wall vs double-wall hardtops - Which years?

Oops. Never mind. Boy do I feel dumb.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #3
rsavage

I believe that double wall tops, which bolt on from underneath the bed rail, came on Blazers and Jimmys without rear side panels, whereas the single wall which bolts on from the top came on the better trim levels, i.e. CST. If it came with a double wall and you had rear trim panels, you would have had to remove them to remove/install the top.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
cleszkie

The double wall tops came first, no matter if you had interior cargo panels or not. However problems with sagging prompted the redesign later in the first generation Blazer production run. I believe the single wall tops began showing up in 71 and 72, but not all 71 and 72 Blazers got them, as there was double wall inventory to use up before the redesign in 1973. If you notice, all 1973 and newer Blazers have single wall tops with nearly identical construction as those for the first generation Blazers.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #5
ChrisCostlow

Thanks Guys!

The reason I ask is that I just bought a 72 Blazer CST, though I don't have it here with me because it's got a fried wiring harness and a new one is being installed at a garage in Salt Lake City. As soon as that is done, I'll fly there and drive her home to So. Cal., then show her the tender loving care she deserves. At the moment, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can about her and the single/double wall top thing was confusing to me.

Here's a picture of her:
Old 10-12-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCostlow View Post
Thanks Guys!

Here's a picture of her:

Could you get a photo of how you mounted your neff bars? I want to put some kind of step or running boards but I can't decide how to tie them into the frame rails, due to how far they are in away from the doors.
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Joe Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #7
ChrisCostlow

I'll take detailed pictures after I get her home.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:32 PM   #8
Joe Blaze

i am thinking of using black pipe, i am just trying to figure the best way to make it reach the frame and not have the bracket bend under the torsional force of your weight stepping on a long run of pipe.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
Firebirdjones

I'm going to bend custom on mine. With a decent wall thickness you shouldn't have to worry about bending the tube, unless you're 400+ lbs and jump up and down on it Especially if you use the same thing roll cages are made of. If it will support a roll over you should be able to stand on it.

I'm running mine to the frame, using flat plate and bolting in on the frame so I can remove it easily, and keeping it very close to the rocker panel for a clean and somewhat undetectable look. So it can also serve as a rocker panel protector (not necessarily a rock slider though) and also a step. I'm shooting for mine to only stick out about 6" past the rocker, just enough to get a foot on it.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
I'm going to bend custom on mine. With a decent wall thickness you shouldn't have to worry about bending the tube, unless you're 400+ lbs and jump up and down on it Especially if you use the same thing roll cages are made of. If it will support a roll over you should be able to stand on it.

I'm running mine to the frame, using flat plate and bolting in on the frame so I can remove it easily, and keeping it very close to the rocker panel for a clean and somewhat undetectable look. So it can also serve as a rocker panel protector (not necessarily a rock slider though) and also a step. I'm shooting for mine to only stick out about 6" past the rocker, just enough to get a foot on it.
yeah, that is about how i want mine to stick out also, strictly functional, not for looks. i will use black pipe and it will hardly be noticeable when i am done. i am just trying to figure out what to do to the top of the pipe to eliminate the possibility of wet feet slipping off of the smooth round pipe surface.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #11
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blaze View Post
yeah, that is about how i want mine to stick out also, strictly functional, not for looks. i will use black pipe and it will hardly be noticeable when i am done. i am just trying to figure out what to do to the top of the pipe to eliminate the possibility of wet feet slipping off of the smooth round pipe surface.
I'm spraying mine with bedliner. It's a rough texture so it shouldn't be as slippery, and it's durable so it won't wear off from stepping on it.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #12
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCostlow View Post
I'll take detailed pictures after I get her home.

Chris-

Did you ever get those photos?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:04 AM   #13
Joe Blaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post

did you make any progress on that project?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
Firebirdjones

I have the plates made for the frame and tacked on my initial attempt at bent tubing. I have many other coals in the fire so I am sort of "on and off" with this project.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:28 PM   #15
ChrisCostlow

Joe

The Blazer's still in the shop in Utah. When I bought it, it wasn't driveable due to wiring problems. The whole harness had to be replaced. It should be done this coming weekend or next. I will get the pics as soon as I get her home.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #16
bigbadchev72
People know me

Thats gonna be a long drive home on those tires. I have never heard of a round thornbird.
1972 k/5 blazer CST 4X4 Crate 350, th350/205, dana44with trac-loc/14 bolt with detroit locker, 4 wheel discs 4.56s, 8" suspension lift using 73-87springs, 1" zerorate custom front crossmember, HAD CV drivelines and driveshaft e-brake, full cage, PRP seats, Full autometer gauges, 38x14.5x16 Toyo M/Ts, 16x10 Polished aluminum rockcrusher wheels

1967 longbox 4x4, Strong 400/400/208, 44/12bolt 4.10s, 6" lift, 35" Toyo M/Ts on corvette rally wheels
bigbadchev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:11 PM   #17
blazintowers

I had a double wall on my 71 cst, with the interior bed wall panels and yah it was a pita to remove the top so I finally dumped it and now have opted to try a soft top!
blazintowers is offline   Reply With Quote