The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2011, 07:18 PM   #1
TRAU 82

dropping front end...HELP!

hey guys...ok so i have an 82 swb c10 with a flip kit out back and am now ready to decide on a way to drop the front end. would like to leave the original coils in the front uncut as much as possible(would cut if i HAD to), so going to go with a drop spindle to keep as much of factory ride as possible. have heard much talk in regards to drop spindles (brands, etc.), but plan to run some 15 inch rallies for the time being and dont want to have to do a ton of grinding in order to do so. have seen many of you go with belltech, djm, summit, 2.5", 3", etc...just wondering what the best brand would be, size drop you went with and your experience/how you like the ride now after doing so...appreciate the help fellas! stay SQUARE..
TRAU 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: dropping front end...HELP!

You are on the right track. I prefer to start with spindle drop and go with spring drop as needed. Check the Forum Vendors for good deals first. From there, its hard to beat Summit Racing for price and service.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
SCOTI

I recommend 2.5" spindles for the least amount of trimming & a 2" drop coil.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
TRAU 82

thanks for the advice fellas...recommend any particular brand over another? belltech over djm, etc?
Old 11-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAU 82 View Post
thanks for the advice fellas...recommend any particular brand over another? belltech over djm, etc?
BellTech & DJM only come in 3" drops. Western Chassis, McGauhys, & CPP offer 2.5" versions, & CPP also has a 2" modular version that can be upgraded to bigger discs w/a simple bracket swap. There are other brands, but these are the most popular.

As far as one being better than another? All the units listed above are good quality so it boils down to availability, pricing to your door, & customer service after the sale.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 11-10-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
AustinScott

don't forget about POL.
front drop Spindles

They shipped stuff fast and had great customer service, not to mention great pricing.

Scott
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
kieth

Check with Boris he has a killer deal 2 Mcgaughy 2.5" drop spindles with 2 air bags for $319.99 Kieth

216-481-5219---way2lo on this board.....great service.....
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
TRAU 82

REALLY appreciate your input guys...love the idea of doing a spindle/bag setup but i'm gonna have to tuck my tail between my legs on this one and admit...i wouldnt know the first thing about doing one/what all would be involved dad gommit...
Old 11-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
REALLY appreciate your input guys...love the idea of doing a spindle/bag setup but i'm gonna have to tuck my tail between my legs on this one and admit...i wouldnt know the first thing about doing one/what all would be involved dad gommit...
No need to 'tuck tail'. Everybody starts from humble origins....

There's no need for the additional expense of bags for the drop level you're targeting. Matching the flipped axle/leaf set-up out back means about a 4" front drop for a level truck. While bags would provide a smoother ride, they're not necessary. If the rear was bagged for adjustability, I could see possibly swapping them to the front as well. Since you have the leafs, I'd stick w/the coils unless you really wanted to swap to air.

2.5 or 3" spindles & trim the factory coils 1/2 to 1 full coil max or just get some 1-2" drop springs.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #10
TRAU 82

sounds like the kinda plan of action i had in mind at the present, maybe bags one day...thanks for the advice again guys! what part of dallas are you in SCOTI? i have a buddy that lives over near the speedway that i come visit from time to time..made it up to good guys 2 years ago and had the opportunity to see your truck from afar N2TRUX. beautiful truck man..
Old 11-11-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
sounds like the kinda plan of action i had in mind at the present, maybe bags one day...thanks for the advice again guys! what part of dallas are you in SCOTI? i have a buddy that lives over near the speedway that i come visit from time to time..made it up to good guys 2 years ago and had the opportunity to see your truck from afar N2TRUX. beautiful truck man..
North Dallas (Garland/Rockwall area).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG