The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
MattPSU

New to the board - Looking for input on my first 67-72

I've always admired 1967-72 Chevy/GMC trucks, and I'm finally in a place to buy my first one. I've been looking for 6-8 weeks now, and have looked at 7 trucks after narrowing my search. I decided early in my search that I was looking for a 67 or 68 Chevy, short bed, fleet side with a V-8. As long as it has a clear title runs and is within my budget, I planned to restore it while I drive it.

I fully expected to find a truck that needed rockers and cab corners, and interior, etc, with my budget being less than $5000 - Ideally 3-4 so that I have some budget left for initial needs. That's fine because I also liked the idea of being able to personalize the truck throughout that process.

However, I've found, what in my opinion, is a great deal on a 69/70 step side that's nearly complete/finished that's also within my budget. It's not perfect, but I could easily enter it as is in a small local car show if I wanted.

My question is for those of you who have been in my position, should I keep looking for exactly what I want, or should I take this great deal on a truck that's pretty close to what I'm looking for? I'm concerned that the truck that's exactly what I want doesn't exist or will be hard to find (within my budget).

My other question is this: Is the front sheet metal on the GMC's the same as the 67-68 Chevy's? Could I swap grills and make a GMC look like a 67/68 Chevy?

Thanks,
Matt
Lyman, SC
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Re: New to the board - Looking for input on my first 67-72

Pics of the truck would be nice. We love pics. In my case I held out and got a 68 short bed fleetside but with a straight six and a 4 on the floor. I passed up many stepside v8 automatic trucks only because out here just fleetside short beds alone run around a thousand dollars and are hard to find and for me as the manager of the local Midas I can do a v8 automatic swap for about eight hundred dollars. Plus it seems like the 67-68 shortys are getting harder to find in driver condition around here. But if you can find a truck worthy enough to enter in a local car show I definately would think hard about buying it, especially if it is within your budget. To Meir it is a driver that you need then you can always change the bed and front clip later. Just my .02
Posted via Mobile Device

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
Gene

I would suggest keep looking until you find exactly what you are looking for. A 67/68 swb fixer upper should be easily found for less than 5k. I am pretty sure you would have to change the whole front clip to run a chevy grill if its a GMC. I'm thinking the fenders are somewhat different.

BOARD MEMBER #5448

BOOMER SOONER!!!!
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
MattPSU

Here's a few pics I took when I looked at it. It has a 350 that has some performance upgrades, automatic transmission, PS, relocated gas tank, etc. Has a few small cosmetic issues - a small dent on the fender, one on the tailgate, clear coat chip on the hood. Needs a floor in the bed. The restoration is 11 years old, and the truck has been in his family 20-25 years.
Attached Images

MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
Robznob11

Wait you will never be satisfied tell you change that bed a clip and then you pretty much starting from scratch anyhow. Besides i would bet a close examination of that truck would reveal normal problem areas or it would not be in your price range metal sandwitched together and covered in pretty paint hides alot. And you can bargin on a compleat truck with cash but buying parts your pretty much stuck with the price.i started with a 68 gmc step 2 used clips and a new clip and a fixer uper bed i now know it would have been cheaper and faster to find a 67 truck
Posted via Mobile Device
,,,,,,,/__(⊙)___//___/__(O)_/

@disciple2.rc 💪instagram💪
LED TAILS
Robznob11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
57larry

that's a nice looking truck. all trucks needs something, I'd go for it
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
JWall
Frequent Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattPSU View Post
I was looking for a 67 or 68 Chevy, short bed, fleet side with a V-8.
Then I suggest that's what you keep looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I would suggest keep looking until you find exactly what you are looking for.
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robznob11 View Post
you will never be satisfied tell you change that bed a clip
Yes, I just had a friend sell his truck for this reason
JWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
71sierragrande
Petroleum User

When I first read this thread, I was gonna say wait for what you want. But, Im not so sure Id pass on that short step. Only you know how bad you want it, but a decent short fleet is getting hard to locate...especially under $4G.

1971 GMC Sierra Grande 2WD 1/2 ton, 350/400 auto
2008 Chevy Silverado 2WD 1/2 ton LT1 5.3L auto
71sierragrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
Bryan H

Thumbs up Re: New to the board - Looking for input on my first 67-72

BTW Welcome to the board. I'm from Chesnee, SC. I'm about 20 miles from you. I go to Greer Dragway 3 or 4 times a year.

Bryan
Bryan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:32 PM   #10
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Welcome to the forum.
In 67 and 68 the difference in the chevy front end is the lack of the side marker light on the 67. For the 69-72 the fender and hood along with the grill are different than 67-68. Are you thinking the red truck is a GMC (it's a Chevy), or do you have access to a different GMC front. It looks like the 67 Chevy and GMC used the same fender, but after that they are different. I would say keep looking for what you want. I have a 68 LB fleet, I am going to shorten the bed, because my budget is miniscule. Hope this helps, good luck.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
R.L.

Man a old vehicle will nickel and dime you to death. With that said buy the best example available is your best bet. Engines trans. beds are a whole lot easier and less expensive than rust. Gages are expensive too knobs rebuilding doors, if it doesn't have the right engine front end combo that you're looking for well for a nice enough platform to start out with will more than reward you till you can get the motor you wont or find the front cap you're in love with and who knows it might grow on you. My 2 cents, I however bought a rust bucket and went trough it the hard way and I mean the hard way. So I guess don't do as I do do as I suggest? LOL
R.L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:17 AM   #12
VA72C10
VA72C10

Look any vehicle over very well. Check the roof around the visors and windshields, and cab supports, rear cab floor, inner rockers, cab corners, bed at the back and front and around wheel tubs. Take a magnet with you to make sure it's not all bondo in those areas. An older restoration or original paint is WAY preferred to seeing how well the body work and paint were done....fresh paint a lot of time (not every but A LOT) means bondo....

If that front grill is nice without dents and has the true recessed letters and not a sticker it could be worth 3-400 to the right person with an uncracked inner...

You might be able to get 5-900 depending on condition for the front clip (in pieces) and find a complete 67-68 clip for that much or less...

If the step bed is nice you might be able either swap with someone wanting a short step or sell it and buy used or a complete new one can be had for under 2K when specials are run by the repro mfr's...