The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #1
blazintowers

Soft Topper, whose got em n how do u like em

want to buy a soft top from soft topper, whose got them and how do you like it?
blazintowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Firebirdjones

Re: Soft Topper, whose got em n how do u like em

I've only heard complaints of how the door windows seal around the top. Otherwise seems to be a solid product.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Rochlow

I have one. I had to redrill the mounting holes for the top rail the fit my body. The windows don't seal completely, but I think that would be difficult to do no matter what you do.

I think it's a decent top used with it's parameters..
Rochlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

I'd also like to see the side windows with a zip out option, so you can leave the top on (as a bikini of sorts) for us bald guys that don't need a tomato head

I never liked rolling up the sides, it always scratched the plastic window all to hell. Had many jeeps that did that, then got the Rubicon with it's zip out windows, that was the cat's meow
Old 11-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #5
blazintowers

wonder if a custom shop could add zippers for the windows, that would be pretty cool. gotta pull the trigger on this one, it's starting to get cold and we are even getting a little rain in SoCal. Since the daily driver is down and well it would be cheaper to get a top and drive ol trusty for a while. OK, Im doing it!
blazintowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #6
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazintowers View Post
wonder if a custom shop could add zippers for the windows, that would be pretty cool. gotta pull the trigger on this one, it's starting to get cold and we are even getting a little rain in SoCal. Since the daily driver is down and well it would be cheaper to get a top and drive ol trusty for a while. OK, Im doing it!

Zip out windows could be added by a quality upholstery shop, but what little checking I did, the cost was nearly as much as the top costs.
If I were to pull the trigger, I was going to see if Softopper themselves could add the zip out windows, as I figured it would be more cost effective and cheaper as an end product if it were done during the construction of the top. Don't know for sure.

I would think a place like that would want to be a sponsor here, and answer some of these questions. Subject seems to come up alot, and that's coming from someone that doesn't frequent the site as often as some do.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
scoyote

Those guys are very good guys (they are brothers).....their shop is in the Republic of Boulder (30 square miles surrounded by Colorado) but they will certainly listen if you take the time to talk to them.

I went down there personally, because it's close, and the whole idea behind the header bar was a direct result of our chat.....and now they produce it.

If it makes sense....they will certainly listen.....it's worth a call to them.

1991 F250 - Hunting truck w/ Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front and rear winches .... and more....
1997 Grand Cherokee - fun jeep - Detroit rear locker, ARB front locker, front winch, 411 gears, lots of lights ;-)
2004 Hot Rod DuraMax - Dnyo'd at the wheels with 525 HP and 1100 lbs torque.....mustang killer.
scoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #8
1971k567cam

I got one for mine this summer loved it but I agree sides should zip out. Window thing is not a big deal as long as not raining just roll them down a bit. I also had to redrill holes on mine for the side rails to fit right other wise the they sat to far in and sides were loose redrilled and it fit like a glove
1971k567cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
RLONG

Had one and it use to rain here a lot top leaked around window very bad went back to hard top. I think the newer ones have better flaps around the window.
Attached Images

RLONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
DW56

I am giving serious consideration to buying a SoftTopper for my 72, but these reviews have me concerned. If not a SoftTopper, then who? I am ready to go to a shop that makes boat covers to see what they would charge me for a top.
DW56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
1971k567cam

You should buy one they are great and besides no one else makes them so who would you buy one from?
1971k567cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #12
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW56 View Post
I am giving serious consideration to buying a SoftTopper for my 72, but these reviews have me concerned. If not a SoftTopper, then who? I am ready to go to a shop that makes boat covers to see what they would charge me for a top.
There is no one else. Soft Topper is all that's out there. If you are seriously considering a soft top, I'd grab one from Soft Topper before they go out of production again.

I say that because companies making soft tops for these first gen blazers seem to come and go over the years....might not be around forever..
Old 11-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Firebirdjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoyote View Post
Those guys are very good guys (they are brothers).....their shop is in the Republic of Boulder (30 square miles surrounded by Colorado) but they will certainly listen if you take the time to talk to them.

I went down there personally, because it's close, and the whole idea behind the header bar was a direct result of our chat.....and now they produce it.

If it makes sense....they will certainly listen.....it's worth a call to them.
I may just do that and see if there is any interest in it. I'd be willing to try the first prototype....Thanks..
Old 11-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #14
K5ontheRocks

Question Re: Soft Topper, whose got em n how do u like em

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLONG View Post
Had one and it use to rain here a lot top leaked around window very bad went back to hard top. I think the newer ones have better flaps around the window.
Ya said you went back to the hard top.... Still have the softy? interested in selling it?
trac-loc/Frt, Detroit/RR. 36x12.50x16.5/military's
Full front caged w/on-board air
K5ontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #15
NuBomb

I've got one of the last bestop's made (I think), but it is getty kind of ratty. I'll need a replacement in a few years. I know they are the only game in town, but they also look like they are better engineered and made with better quality materials. I just hope they are still making them when the time comes.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote