The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
wade

batt gauge connection on 72/signal lights

hi there!!!!! just registered,great site!!
just picked up a 72 gmc, all original, trying to get all the lights and gauges to work and am having a tough time. when i bought the truck all the lights worked fine, turns, park, tail etc. when i got it home the tail lights dont work, sometimes when i turn the right signal on, the left one blinks! when i turn the headlights on, they work fine but the tail lights dont. sometimes there is a very faint glow from the tail lights but thats it, no brake lights either. I picked up a haynes manual, but the wiring diagrams in there are pretty much useless. any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

lastly. does anyone know how to connect a factory battery gauge on the instrument panel? this truck has a hei ignition system installed{dont know if that matters} i looked at the back of the gauge and there are no connections at all. gauge seems to work when tested, i guess my question is, what wires need to come from where to hook up the two points on the back of the gauge?
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 02:07 AM   #2
SEVEND2

Welcome to the board from So. Calif

Check the voltage regualtor, also if you can crawl under and trace your wires, mack sure they aint grounding out some where

lots of real good persons here!!

if ya gots pics post them away too. on picture boards!

Progress on truck so far (follow link):
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=51051

and stage 2

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ad.php?t=58132

~ "Why couldn't you have just put the bunny back in the box?" ~
SEVEND2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:12 AM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

ttt
First off, welcome!
Second, easy stuff first, check/clean all of your grounds. Start from there, it sounds like that may be your problem with the rear lights.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I agree that the rear lights need a better ground. You probably have a wooden floor in the bed huh? I don't even bother trying to fix the 30+ year old ground, just run your own from teh frame of the truck to the tail light bucket. Don't forget to scrape the rust off on the frame.
As for your guage, look on either side of the engine compartment. There should be small black 2 piece fuse holders in the harness. You may have to dig a little to see them in the harness, but once you find them, check the fuses...I'll bet one, if not both, are blown. You can install the common larger fuse, but the holder won't shut all the way. I have no idea where to find the proper size fuse.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote