The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2003, 08:12 AM   #26
Blue_71
Bloo

just to put another twist on things--- imagine jewels said a friend sold her parts at a yard sale after she staed the rules etc, wouldnt you all be on her side then?

sorry to hear about the bad luck jewels
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:41 AM   #27
68 Stepside
huh?

LMAO...this thread went nuts!!! I know what you're saying Jewels. I've been there.

I have a little story to add....
I moved to Tampa last November, and since I'm a computer geek I had a TON of used computer parts in the back room in boxes. To make a long story short, I moved back to IL. Well, the hard drive in my bro's computer crapped out, so I went to grab another one from the back room in my folks' basement....and guess what....every single one of my computers and all the parts I had....are GONE!!! I know it was my fault for not taking them with me, but I didn't have the means at the time. So, to make a long story even longer, in a way, I know where you're coming from. It's surely frustrating
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 09:03 AM   #28
COBALT

I'm not jumping on anyone's a$$, and I read the post correctly. All I did was analyze the story to determine who had the most to loose and who took the risks to come to a conclusion about who is responsible for the outcome.

I disagree with the majority of the responses here. I still think jewels was in the wrong. I'm not going to apologize for using logic to formulate an opinion.

Lets scoop all of the he-said-she-said stuff aside and consider the basic facts.

Who owned the parts? If it was jewels, then who ultimately had responsibility over their sale? If you say her mom then you're wrong. Regardless of some verbal agreement her parts = her responsibility. Any verbal agreement regarding their sale does not change their ownership.

Combine this with the fact that every verbal agreement has risks. Depending on who has the most to loose determines who the dominant and passive participants are. Jewels had more to loose than her mother. Therefore, she had the responsibility of evaluating the risk and making the appropriate decision. She didn't do that. This is basic ethics and economics.

She accrued a certain amount of risk when she agreed to a verbal agreement to leave her items at that sale - not informing her mother what they might potentially be worth if she sold them on this parts board for instance. Her mother had a certain amount of risk in the agreement, but didn't have the value of the parts to loose. Question: who had more to loose via the verbal agreement? jewels.

Therefore, it was in jewels best interest to defer the verbal agreement, and take the parts with her, or put them aside before she got back. Since she didn't and the results were not in her favor the amount of risk determines it was her mistake.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 10:57 AM   #29
greasemonkey

If you told your mom that the box of stuff was worth about $150, then I am on your side. If you didn't, how was she to know? You yourself said they were "old dingy truck parts."
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
greasemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:02 AM   #30
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

Yeah, this thread is getting out of hand...... Why are some of you analyzing this like it’s a political debate????? Don't you have anything better to do?? She was just ranting about something that pissed her off. LET IT GO.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:09 AM   #31
COBALT

Political debate???

I'm just giving her a different point of view to consider before she says something to her mom she'll regret later. Like I said before I've experienced something similar with my parents. Simply blaming her mom is a bit simplistic, and I think in the long run she'll realize she's wrong for blaming her.

This is just a difference of opinion anyway. Is that allowed here? She can take it or leave it.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:10 AM   #32
GMC69

Quote:
Originally posted by Slammed67
Yeah, this thread is getting out of hand...... Why are some of you analyzing this like it’s a political debate????? Don't you have anything better to do?? She was just ranting about something that pissed her off. LET IT GO.
I second that , again, hehe.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #33
BIGG BELLY

while we are talking about moms and $$$$--my mom and i were on the same insurance--i rearended a lexus in my nissan pickup $2500 in damage only to find out that my mom had spent the money i gave her for my insurance on other things and so here i am with no insurancefor the past 2 months and a bill i had to pay out of pocket -------but she is my mom so we got over it--but she doesn't see any of my $$anymore
photo albums
BIGG BELLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:01 PM   #34
Porkchop

This thread is odd. Usually when people rant about a problem everyone else just sympathizes (Whether or not they agree with what the person is saying.) What is it about this thread that is making everyone so crazy. She was looking for a little support; not to be attacked with FAR FAR FAR over analyzed posts. (NO, the post would not have gone to the bottom of the page if noone posted in disagreement with Jewels- their were plenty of people that supported her that would have kept the thread at the top.) ABSOLUTELY NOONE can say that Jewels doesn’t deserve at least a little sympathy. She was upset about something and wanted someone to listen; not for a bunch of people to bash her in or provide “another point of view.” I can not comprehend how some of you think Jewels is wrong. Her mother understood the rules but she decided to break them. I know that she probably didn’t know the value of the parts and thought that she did well by selling them for twelve bucks, but Jewels continually stressed that the parts were not to be sold- Shouldn’t her mother have figured that the parts were worth more than 12 dollars since Jewels was calling over and over.
Yes, her mom deserves respect, but so does Jewels. Doesn’t anyone see that. Her mother disrespected her by doing what she was told not to do. It is as simple as that. Some of you say that the parts were Jewels responsibility. NO, they weren’t (not for the time that she was gone to lunch.) from what Jewels said, her mother reassured her that the parts would not be sold until Jewels returned, therefore the parts became her mothers responsibility. How can the fact that she sold the parts be considered as anything but blatantly lying????????
Saying that Jewels has cost her mother well over 150 dollars throughout her lifetime is an illogical argument. This thread is about respect, not just about the money.
Seems to me that some of you are supporting her mother simply because she is a mother.
PS- threads where people post over analyzed messages and attack others are what is causing people to leave this website.
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:08 PM   #35
GMC69

That is basically what I was trying to say, maybe not as long of a post but same train of thought.

LIke I said in my post

RESPECT IS RESPECT IT GOES BOTH WAYS!!!.

I also agree 100000% that over analyzing the thread is not what it was about.

I also said that she needed to vent and let her.

I know that the 150$ was part of why she is mad but I really think that it is the "respect" behind it that is even more important.

2019 Silvedrado 4x4
1970 Chevy 3/4 ton, 396BB, on air bags
GMC69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:13 PM   #36
Porkchop

And one more thing. Jewels said that everyone was in the rummage sale to make their OWN money and that noone was supposed to sell things unless it was Okay with the owner. Soooo... how is this situation any different than if you were to take your parts to a swap meet and return from lunch only to find that the people next to you sold your parts?
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 11:34 PM   #37
sameyrasmea72

I think Jewels has probably unsubscribed to this post....lol
sameyrasmea72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 01:31 AM   #38
jewels.

i have not unsubscribed to this post. i am just amazed at how far its gone awry this week! my mom has even read it and is thinking its a little crazy. lay off guys. it happened a while ago. my mom and i have made up since then. dont sweat it!

GET ON WITH LIFE AND LET THIS THREAD DIE!!!!! R.I.P.!!!!!!!

catch y'all on another more important thread!
ciao!
jewels.
Old 08-23-2003, 01:38 AM   #39
dinnut

lets face it , the age difference in alot of the members plays a big role in this whole fiasco. im turning 16. ive been taught to sell stuff for more than its worth. and if i would have told my mom how much the stuff was worth anyway, but she was COMPLETELY in the wrong not calling you. i would not take her money either. money isnt the key idea. you wanted to "cool down". you always have to tell someone. thats why some people see shrinks. just to have someone to talk to. but this board was a good place to put this story just to show other young people that you have to watch old people... thats my story and im sticking to it.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:45 AM   #40
Phillip Johnson
Account Suspended

Actually she said I could have it all for $10, not $12...

Just kidding, I stand behind your mom on this in a way. Yes, she should have called you but, you, being a big girl, should have clearly marked EACH part with the price that you wanted and then your mom would have had a price base to work from. My advice is "next time, call for a pizza delivery". Go kiss your mother! Feel lucky to still have a mother around to kiss!
Phillip Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:32 PM   #41
oldsub86

We had a 3 speed manual transmission with overdrive unit out of an old Chevy kicking around the garage for a long time. I always thought it would be great to put into a newer truck or car for that matter.

I went looking for it and couldn't find it a while after my dad passed away. Mom was cleaning up and sent a whole bunch of junk to the dump. I guess that is where the transmission went. I was a bit disappointed but she didn't know it was valuable. That has to be close to 20 years ago but I still wonder if someone else is running around with my transmission. I hope so as I would rather have that than think it is in the landfill.
Old 08-24-2003, 03:48 AM   #42
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

this is the best thread ever

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote