The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
chris mc bride

how much invested or figure will be

Doing some number chrunching on repairs for my panel. Getting it free(well inherited it,far from free) Having almost new motor new bumpers,new grille and ****ty paint job doesn't hurt except the paint. I sitll figure Ill spend 12 to 14 g's when finished. but then I have lots of stuff I want do starting with frame off restoration and lots custom touches.
I'm wondering how many other are as nuts as me. After all 20 plus grand in 42 yo truck is far from sain.Then again it will be bada$$ and paid for and not like any your likely to see on road,at least not at same time.
So if not worried about IRS,your wife or future buyer seeing it let us know what you plan to spend or have spent on your panel or burb
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #2
vectorit
What?

Re: how much invested or figure will be

I always say, once you have the number in your head that you think you will spend. Triple that number.

In my case, I inherited my burb. So there was no initial outlay of cash, and I did most of the heavy lifting and time consuming work myself.

Where I spent a lot of money, was in storage of it and the parts.
For years I lived in crappy neighborhood apartment complexes with no garage, worked my butt off in a career that took all of my time and left me exhausted most of the time when I was off.

So, I used storage units as my garage or when I had body/paint work done I always told them to take their time (free storage).

If only I had the wealth of resource this website provides back then, I probably would have saved close to 5 grand in just wrong or bad idea parts.
But back when I started, dial up and mono chrome monitors were it and still kind of expensive.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #3
chris mc bride

Re: how much invested or figure will be

Yea site saves bunch,not to mention I have sold few parts to help with cost. As for doing heavy work I plan on doing about 95% of the work my self.My estimate is what I figured plus about 15% extra.Ive never figured a job or project dead on so I figure everything I can and add 10 to 15 %. As soon as I can sale few of the parts I'll start cutting the rust out and repair from there.
chris mc bride is offline   Reply With Quote