The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
JamesJr098

my first "real" build (School of hard knocks)

Well... I'm back on the site, I registered a while back but have been involved researching on my first Resto-mod build.
Wow my hats off to the custom builders!! I have been working on heavy trucks as a mechanic sense 92, mainly on engines and hydraulics on trucks and backhoes. Now I work on Fire Equipment (Trucks) man the electronics is at times overwhelming .
I have done some small mods to previous trucks I have owned such as some body work , rewiring, replaced an engine in my 88-4d some exhaust building and so-on, but this is the First time I have done a ground up resto. while modifying components to update the truck.
First thing I did was clean the frame and paint it, I would recommend go ahead and have the frame media blasted ant then paint it. I media blasted the suspension and steering parts and it was so much quicker and probably cheaper in the long run.

Them I have changed from the 6 lug to the 5 on 5 Chevy disc. by swapping out the front sub from a 73 GMC 15 and added 2" drop spindles. That didn't go so bad but... now I'm working on the rear suspension. Wow, there is a lot than meets the eye (talking about a house of cards) I wanted to swap from the old truck arm rear to a more adjustable 4-link with coil overs.. (just my preference) , I started out with a Speedways pro-street 4-bar suspension, then I swapped out the standard metal heims with urethane adjusters so I don't get as harsh a ride not to mention help prevent the rattles later. Then I was going to use the 12 bolt from the 73 doner but I found that it is slightly wider than the 66 12 that I originally had putting the wheels closer to the fenders. There goes my 5 bolt pattern 73 so I heard that a Ford 9" has some built in characteristics that make it a tough rear (Sorry Chevy die-hards )
Might I add I've had Dodges ,4Ds and some others but Chevy seems to be the Best for building / streetroding .
So Back to the build, I found a 4d 9" from a 72 step side, it was more narrow than the Ranchero but it had the smaller housing, not to matter, still can be built up. The next problem is Ford uses 5 on 5.5 lug pattern on most trucks finding a ford 5 on 5 isn't easy though I have heard that some Lincoln's used 5 on 5. So I sent the axles out and had them re lugged to 5 on 5 and figured that for brakes I would use Speedways weld on 9" rear disc brake conversion with emergency brakes... Fine and dandy but now I need to send the axles back out to the machine shop and have the flanges turned down so that they will fit into the brake rotor hats in the disc kit. So hopefully after the axles get back from the shop I can press the bearings on so I can mock up the rear and find my ride hight so I can weld on all my brackets and cross members to get the rear set up. Then I can start working the Brake system.
Have to say It's a learning experience , learning a lot. And still learning....
Let me know of any red flags that might have popped up from what has been read, I'll post more as I go also see If I can scrounge up some pics. Thanks
JamesJr098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #2
jayman68
Fun Stuff

Re: my first "real" build (School of hard knocks)

Welcome, good luck with the build. Lets see some pics.

68 C10(project)
88 Honda Accord(DD)
93 Chevy Astro EXT 2wd
jayman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
1ATony

Re: my first "real" build (School of hard knocks)

Welcome to the site.
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote