The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
Brian LI

Brake Help Please

Ok so I'm new to this forum and new to Chevy trucks. I acquired this '72 ramp truck over the summer and have finally gotten some time to work on it.

Well the front brake rotors are pretty much shot and I've been trying to find replacements. My friends at the local NAPA tracked some down some and the ones available don't fit. The inner wheel bearing is too deep and once the rotors are mounted you can't mount the caliper on the bracket. Even if you could get the caliper mounted the new rotors are to wide allow the caliper and pads to fit over them. There is another type listed but they come up everywhere as not available.

Now I'm gonna guess that I'm not the first one to have this issue . I'm hopeful that someone can at least aim me in the right direction for the parts or to a solution.

I have direct orders from my other half "Why don't you take some time and get that new project of yours going?" So I want to take advantage of the opportunity. Here's a pic of what I have and thanks in advance for any advice.

Brian LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
'68 C-20

Re: Brake Help Please

2Sorry I cannot help with the brake issue. But that Ramp Truck is one nice score! Welcome. someone will help you out.
’26 Ford Model T
‘72 Triumph Spitfire 1500
'09 "The Briggs Flyer" Gettin' High.
'68 C-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 PM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

I don't have any experience with those caliper/rotors either but I was wondering if there's any way that the originals can be machined down some? Maybe the new ones that are available could be machined down to fit?

I would also check with a brake shop that specializes in big trucks. Sometimes there are old timers that can help out.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Brian LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gmsee View Post
I don't have any experience with those caliper/rotors either but I was wondering if there's any way that the originals can be machined down some? Maybe the new ones that are available could be machined down to fit?
Thanks, originally I was thinkiing the same thing but after measuring them up they would be a little to thin and under the miniimum. They are definitely beefy looking little things though

Last edited by Brian LI; 11-14-2011 at 01:58 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
partsman3

Have you tried using the casting numbers from the rotors to find a set? They look a lot like the ones I had on an 85 C30.
partsman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Brian LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman3 View Post
Have you tried using the casting numbers from the rotors to find a set? They look a lot like the ones I had on an 85 C30.

That was what we originally went with and unfortunately those were the ones that didn't fit. They look almost exactly the same, the main difference being the rear wheel bearing offset and the overall thickness of the rotor.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
partsman3

I've done a little searching on this. They only suggestion I have it to get spindles and rotors from a 74-86 C30, maybe A arms too depending on wether the 72 ball joints will work or not. No one seems to offer the correct rotors any longer.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #8
Brian LI

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman3 View Post
I've done a little searching on this. They only suggestion I have it to get spindles and rotors from a 74-86 C30, maybe A arms too depending on wether the 72 ball joints will work or not. No one seems to offer the correct rotors any longer.
Thanks for the information.

That's kind of what we were seeing after our "due diligence" for the past few weeks. I was somewhat hopeful that there may be another answer but it does seem like an "off year" truck as far as some replacement parts.

Do you know if the outer tie-rods need to be replaced as well or will they match the 74-86 C30 spindles?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
partsman3

I don't know about the tie rods. You'll have to try them and see.