The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2003, 07:53 PM   #1
Ackattack

Carrier

Well today I dug into my rearend. It was to be a simple task of pulling out the axles to replace some wheels studs I broke off. Soon it turned bad. The lock screw had broken off in the carrier. I tried using some easy outs to get it out, but could get a good angle on it. I ended up breaking a drill bit off in the screw! I then drilled into the carrier, through the lock screw, and was able to get the pinion shaft out, along with the axles.

My problem now is that I have to get a new carrier. No one sells just the plain non-posi carrier, so I guess I'm going to have to upgrade to a posi unit. I'm not totaly bummed about this, as I was planning to do this eventually, but now I have to and really wasn't planning on doing it (didn't have the money set aside for this project). I figure also, rather than spending the money for an open diff, spend a little more and get what I want.

I think while I'm in there I'll change gears to 3.42 from the stock 3.08. What's people's opinions on the auburn differentials? What about gears? I've had a few friends break richmond gears soon after installing and they were professionally installed and properly broken in. (Also on 10.5" slicks, but who's keeping score?)
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:04 PM   #2
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Yukon gear make's a good gear set . That's what I run in my rock-crawler and they are still great. Never heard anything bad abiut the auburn ,but I have a spool in the rear and a limited slip in the front.. BTW you should not run a spool in the rear as it tend's to wear out tire's, but sure is fun to drive in the rain..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
lukecp
Formerly yellow72custom

Eaton Posi units are rebuildable, but Auburn Posi unis aren't. The Auburn posi is a stronger unit and will proably provide slightly better traction, but it will need to be replaced when it goes out (and all posi units go out eventually), while the Eaton can be rebuilt.

You could go pull a carrier out of a junkyard truck for next to nothing, but i agree, as long as you have the rear apart, upgrade it to positraction and the gear ratio you want.
lukecp is offline   Reply With Quote