The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
ctumbler

700r4 to Rochester Monojet

It's the combo I have matched to my 250 in my 66 C10 - anyone running this setup? How did you address the TV cable? Are you running your carb with the linkage to the rear/facing the firewall?

Thanks
ctumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #2
samuellg1977

Re: 700r4 to Rochester Monojet

You will have to make a bracket to hold the cable... Then, the fun begins!! If it is out of adjustment, or the geometry is off, you'll turn that tranny to a trout line weight!! Check google for the cable ends and different setups. I burnt my trans up, so i just pulled the whole motor/trans and replaced it all. I hope yours turns out better than mine did. Good luck.
samuellg1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #3
ctumbler

Thanks - everything I have read about the 700r4 is that it is a great OD tranny, but you are screwed if you don't get that adjusted. The PO did a "fantastic" job of dropping the motor and trans in so I have more than a few projects ahead of me.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:01 AM   #4
ctumbler

Any one else running this set up?? If not, anyone have suggestions for what to replace a monojet with while keeping the existing manifold? I am on a super tight budget but don't want to run the risk of burning out a decent trans
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
ctumbler

looks like the manifold on a 250 with the monojet set up is a one and done....so anyone running the 700r4 with the monojet with success? Or am I looking at buying a used exhaust/intake and carb....so much for low budget!
Old 11-19-2011, 02:43 AM   #6
Rooster's 67

they never put the 700R4 behind those motors, that i can recall. however there are somewhere out there, the dimensions of where the attachment point for the TV Cable in reference to the carburetors butterfly shaft pivot point is....let me see if I can find that for ya.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p7.html
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Last edited by Rooster's 67; 11-19-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: found a link
Rooster's 67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #7
samuellg1977

There is a way to do it - successfully. You will have to be very creative and fabricate your own bracket. Then, just get the cable tension right. Here is a link and pics that may help help you out. A Pick-a-part will be in your future to get the bracket and extra stuff to make it. Mine was a lot more crude than this and just poorly designed - thus FAILURE. This article is not a step-by-step, but should assist in making and installing a bracket that will actually work. I wish i had found this when i made mine.

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t...mission+hanger

Sam
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
samuellg1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster's 67 View Post
they never put the 700R4 behind those motors, that i can recall. however there are somewhere out there, the dimensions of where the attachment point for the TV Cable in reference to the carburetors butterfly shaft pivot point is....let me see if I can find that for ya.

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sum...o/700R4p7.html
I LOVE your signature... I am also a firm believer in NATURAL SELECTION!!!! Let it run it's course, I say!!!!

Sam
Old 11-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #9
Rooster's 67

ctumbler,
the carburetor geometry is more critical than the mounting of the cable. The cable mounted to the carburetor needs to travel a certain distance from idle to WOT. miss that mark and you will not have enough line pressure rise(or too much) for long trans life. this also controls shift points. The mounting of the cable to the intake/engine or what ever you choose needs to be secure and stout enough to not flex. This will require fabrication to complete, there is not a bolt on solution that i know of.
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old 11-19-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
ctumbler

Sam / Rooster -

Thanks so much for your help - I knew someone out there had done it at least once, all I needed was a bit of a visual to help match up the the measurements. It looks like this will be more of a project than I imagined, but certainly do-able.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Rooster's 67

I have seen a bracket someone made to bolt onto factory throttle shaft bracket, might be easier to fab up without a tig or mig to weld things back up. Good luck
Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM   #12
jj1965

These guys don't have your bracket but they do have good tech articles that explain why it is important to have proper cable adjustment and how to do it. I have spoken with them over the phone and they are very knowlegable they might be able to fabricate something for you?
http://www.tvmadeez.com/
jj1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #13
ctumbler

JJ - I had been on their site, they are the only folks I have found that make anything for the 700r4 that connects to a Rochester, even if it is the 2 barrel. Think I'll give them a call and pick their brain a bit on Monday - lord knows I can't afford a new trans!