The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
gpat@earthlink.net

ls engine swap

Does any one have a step by step ls2 or 3 4l60 or 80 engine/trans swap guide for a 72 4x4 blazer. Thanks Pat
gpat@earthlink.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #2
jonesky2

Re: ls engine swap

bump, also interested
jonesky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
NW_Ryker

Here's one I found. Use the search bar.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=380717
NW_Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:20 PM   #4
Firebirdjones

Since Thealien wrote that there has been some changes in the market.
Most notably the Pacific Fab cross member made specifically for the 4x4 swap.
I used one and it worked very slick. It's been redesigned to work with stock ride heights, clears the front differential, and uses stock 73 and up engine mounts.
I had to re-route my brake lines where they pass through the frame since the cross member is moved back slightly, it interfears with the brake line junction as it passes through the frame. I simply drilled new holes further forward and purchased longer brake line hose (from caliper to frame) to compensate. Then bent new steel lines inside the engine compartment.

I also had both the 4L80E and the 4L60E hear when I did the swap. Ultimately I went with the 4L60E because the 80 was too long for what I wanted to do. I only wanted to move the engine forward, and didn't have enough room for the 80. Unless you want to move the transfer case back as well the 80 won't fit in the 4x4 application. I elected to keep the transfer case in the stock location because moving it opens an entirely new can of worms like driveshafts, cutting the floor to move the shifter, possible console interference with shifter, etc....it's up to you.

There are so many little quirks like this that you will run into you can literally write a book on it. My best advice would be to do a little research to decide the exact direction to take, then dive in. What ever obsticles you run into just post up and there are many here that have done the swap that should be able to give you several different answers on how to solve it.
Firebirdjones is offline   Reply With Quote