The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2003, 08:19 PM   #1
jon_volk

how the F do ya get stripped seatbelt bolts out?

well im trying to get my f-ing seat belts out and the previous owner attempted obviously and stripped out two of the torx bit heads so i cant get a bit to bite into it. the bit just twists out and it looks like the actual bit is starting to twist b/c of this. i cant get a good grip on it w/ vise grips either. any suggestions? im really gettin pissed.

thanks.
jon_volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #2
Izzy
Trucker.

Re: how the F do ya get stripped seatbelt bolts out?

Quote:
Originally posted by jon_volk
well im trying to get my f-ing seat belts out and the previous owner attempted obviously and stripped out two of the torx bit heads so i cant get a bit to bite into it. the bit just twists out and it looks like the actual bit is starting to twist b/c of this. i cant get a good grip on it w/ vise grips either. any suggestions? im really gettin pissed.

thanks.
The only thing I can suggest is weld a spare torx head to the bolt and back them out slowly.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 08:22 PM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

There is a neat little tool that basically acts as a backwards drill bit, so when you go into reverse it digs into the screw until it starts turning, and comes out....

I've seen one at Home Hardware before, and should have gotten it, lol so many stripped screws on my truck it isn't even funny anymore
Old 08-22-2003, 10:33 PM   #4
mike reeh
5 day ban, learn to behave.

I feel your pain.. Thats happened to me before.. Are you using a good pair of vice grips? an actual pair of "vice grips" ? because the taiwanese knockoffs dont cut it especially for something like this. Real vice grips will have a very sharp square edge that doesnt twist or anything..

other than that bust out the ol' mig welder and weld a bolt, nut, socket, extension, something to it..

mike
mike reeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #5
TROYLV

i have got them out using the socket type allen. just find one that is a good snug fit and hamer it in. try metric and sae to get the tightest fit.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #6
Izzy
Trucker.

Quote:
Originally posted by Russell
There is a neat little tool that basically acts as a backwards drill bit, so when you go into reverse it digs into the screw until it starts turning, and comes out....

I've seen one at Home Hardware before, and should have gotten it, lol so many stripped screws on my truck it isn't even funny anymore
Duh I'm retarded. You're talking about an easy out.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2003, 09:29 PM   #7
jon_volk

mig welded a big a$$ nut on there and used a breaker bar...came right out
jon_volk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 03:45 PM   #8
gn4u2c
Account Suspended

I used a grinder to cut a grove in one then an air chisel to free it up and a bid flat head to finish the job. maybe not the easiest but I had no welder (also works well)
gn4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote