The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Racer Pops

How low?

I have a '56 project that I am working on that has the TCI IFS frontend and TCI springs in the rear. I just installed my new tires/wheels and the rear of the truck sits about 2" higher than I want it to. I already have a 55 that I drive and I like the way it sits. The frame has been c-notched and I am trying to avoid doing that on this project unless I just have to. My question is this: how much clearance is recommended between the rearend housing and the chassis so that it won't bump while driving? I have right at 4" now and would like to drop it another inch or two. It would be nice if I can just install 2" blocks and be done with it, but I DO have the equipment to do the notching. Was hoping to not have to have big tubs in the bed.

All suggestions appreciated.
Racer Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: How low?

I think it depends on your driving style and if you ever haul anything besides a duffel bag and small cooler in the truck. Plus the roads you drive on. I've already broken one frame rail over the rear axle on my truck from the axle hitting the frame over time. It will have a notch and I hope around five inches of clearance this time. I may put some of the overload style bags on it to keep it level when I load up luggage and the cooler to travel and I may pull a teardrop trailer with it at times so that has to be taken into consideration.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #3
mknittle

the tubs aren't necessary for the drop, but for wheel/tire clearance. for the drop the main worry is clearance between the bed floor and the highest part of the suspension/rear differential. on my 52 I am raising the bed floor 2" to clear the upper control arms.
4" is ok to the bump stops if you aren't planning on hauling anything but folding chairs to a rod run. but no less. with the way the highways are these days ........
It also depends on how stiff the springs are that you are running. Just my opinion

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
hotrod1
56 - autocross

I would make sure that when the shock bottoms out that you are still 1/2" or so away from the frame. If you are into the frame and the shock still has compression, you are asking for trouble. One thing leads to another. You then have to notch your frame or whatever.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Racer Pops

Well, since I am at four inches between the frame and the housing now, I think I am going to go ahead and notch the frame. I want the truck 2" lower than it is now and adding the weight of the gas tank and bed floor won't make that much difference. Never have much cared for the raised floor look, so guess I will do the wheel tub thing.

One question I still have for the experts...Is installing lowering blocks between the housing and the spring an accepable way of lowering the truck another 2"?
Racer Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
hotrod1
56 - autocross

I think the first thing that you have to do is look at your shocks. How much travel do they have? Let say it is 4 inches. Your ride height on that shock should be when it is about 1/2 compressed or about 2 inches. That means that you have 2 inches of travel up towards the frame and then 2 inches down towards the ground. In this case, you would only need a little bit over 2 inches from the axle to the frame.

Blocking the axle is something that I dont know much about but I figure it should not be plan a, and would alter handling, but I really dont know.
hotrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote