The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
dukcaln

2" drop shackles on 72LB

so i got some 2" drop shackles, ( I hope deal comes through) and am wondering if that is all I need to drop the rear of the truck. What is involved in the swap and dropping? Is it simply swapping shackles. want to level the truck out. might be able to tell from this photo but it sits a tad higher in back on flat ground.... will i need to trim some off of the front coils?

Old 11-22-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
71 GMCDRVR

Re: 2" drop shackles on 72LB

I know that to level the trucks stance you have to go 2 more inches in the rear. So if you drop the rear 2 inches, then cut a coil (which is 2 inched) in the front you will still have a rake to the stance. So I think (don't quote me on this) if you put just the 2" shackles and leave the front alone it should level the truck (depending on how much the front springs have settled)

FYI with an axle flip you can get anywhere from 5" to 7" then you will have to drop the front as well. Djm makes a flip kit for the rear axle and you are actually relocating the rear axle to on top of the leaf springs instead of underneath.

Last edited by 71 GMCDRVR; 11-22-2011 at 03:39 PM.
71 GMCDRVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
dukcaln

thanks, parked in the slope you cant tell but on flat surface you can see the difference in height. how simple is the swap. do I need to do anything else other than instal the shackles
Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
71 GMCDRVR

Honestly at this point I'm not sure I havn't done mine yet and I don't wanna point you in the wrong direction (sorry for the lack of info) but there are alot of guys on here that have a wealth of knowledge on this. Cruise around the suspension threads I am sure you will get all the info you need. Good luck and don't forget pics of the finished product.

I plan on doing a 3/5 drop using an axle flip and drop coils sometime after the holidays. so I will be sure to share
Old 11-24-2011, 05:44 AM   #5
OhioDan

Thumbs up Re: 2" drop shackles on 72LB

Tried to put 2" shackles on my LWB GMC. Top of the shackle kepted hitting the bottom of the floor. Went back to stock height. Wished I would have heard about flipping the axle before I finished the truck?
Attached Images

LIFE AIN'T EASY WHEN YER FAT AND GREASY!
GMC= Got More Class!
1970 GMC LWB, Fleetside, 350/4spd, Flowmaster "40's", 2002 GMC 16" Rallies, cowl hood,and added a bunch of options that weren't there when I started.
OhioDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #6
cadillacart
1972 C/20

Just by looking at things, it seems that any longer shackles will hit the bed. Just slam it!
cadillacart is offline   Reply With Quote