The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2011, 09:50 PM   #26
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Re: The F word - BLASPHEMY!

wow... I thought it was still good.
That sucks huh?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 AM   #27
domeier

California will probably be the first state to ban all vehicles more than 30 years old. Either that, or just ban internal combustion in entirety. And force all cows to wear fart capture containment systems. Welcome to the future.

This message was brought to you by the good folks at Solyndra corp.
domeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #28
special-K
Special Order

I'd probably go with a used Toyota.

I like to drive older cooler stuff,too. If I lived where rust from winter salt wasn't a concern all I'd want to own would be older. A Falcon Ranchero could be an economical vehicle and do anything a Toyota P/U could. An LS1/overdrive conversion will cost you a lot of gas money. Even doubling the mileage,it would take eons to offset the cost in fuel savings. And then you have a modern computer controlled vehicle that can be a costly P.I.A. is it had any problems. I have have come around to accepting that it's a good idea to have a later vehicle you don't care a whole lot about just to drive. For that,I'd like to get a little Toyota. Reputations don't lie. People don't brag about all the miles they get out of a vehicle because it sucked. I hate working on newer stuff! If I'm going to get something out of the realm of what I truly prefer,I want something that does all I need it for that my other vehicles don't give me. Something to hop in,go anywhere (without draining my bank account for fuel),cruise the hiway with ease (O/D),and have minimum creature comforts (some sort of tunes,A/C...). I toy with the thought of a Toyota truck and I'd just put some wheels and tires on I like and be done with it. I really need a heavy duty full-size truck for the work I do. But,not really every day any more. So,maybe if I can get a little econo-truck while my '92 K3500 still has life I can just use that when I need all it's capabilities every no and then.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #29
domeier

Well, I did me much pondering, and I've decided to sell/replace my 4WD truck instead of buying an additional daily driver. I don't know what the replacement will be, I guess it depends on what hits craigslist over the next couple months. Pretty sure it won't be a Toyota or anything close to new.

I don't have a safe place to park my truck, and old Chevies in this part of the world tend to get stolen if someone notices they aren't moving every day. Also, as much as I love this particular truck, it's just not a good fit for city driving - even on Sundays only. Leafs at 4 corners beat the hell out of you. This truck belongs on dirt roads.

I'll be looking at 2WD 67-72's and whatever else interesting pops up. In the meantime, I started yesterday on the few outstanding sqawks that need attention before I put her up for sale. Hope to have everything done in a week or so.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #30
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
wow... I thought it was still good.
That sucks huh?
Yeah....but I kinda like these trucks more than Jeeps now anyway

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #31
GmtGmt
Conversion Truck Addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
I drive my classics every day. There's things that suck about it, but I do it becouse I get to enjoy my hobby every single day. Yeah, they fall apart from time to time, they don't have A/C, they get crappy MPG, but, I drive them becouse I stand out in a crowd, people recognise me, it labels me as "a car guy"... but mostly becouse I want to.

Get a yota and be one of them.
Get the classic ford, and be one of us.
Wise word right here.

I cant see what the problem is with running an older/classic car as DD I drive old banger and it coast my a headgasket and rear wheel bearing
it gets crappy millage but in parts its cheap, insurence is cheap, and road taxes on it is cheap so oh and it got half a million miles on the original drive train and body

all cars have been dd so why cant they now?

we have a costemer who has the old Volvo PV 544 from 67. its never been rebuild just mecanicly up todate. a few mounths ago it was time for MOT, he wanted an all fluid change engine, trans, rear, brake, fluid coolent etc it reseved a set of brake shoes in front and 2 new brake hoses and it passed with flying colors when i drove it back to the costemer (he lives out in the midle of nowhere) when it got up to speed it wow what car it is.

just listen to this when the engine is warm you cant even hear it with the hood closed

if you like the classic ranchero get one screw the yota

Quote:
Tonight mine pulled a few cars out of snowbanks, and is sitting in my driveway, icicles on the grille, wheels just white cakes of snow, buried up to the lug nuts in powder, straps and chains wrapped around the bumpers, the outline of the wipers clear in 4 inches of snow on the windshield... A tired warrior of the 1980s in a world of low profile tires, front wheel drive, and plastic bumpers, where people stay in their houses until snowplows move the offending substance from their paths, too helpless to travel without AAA and chains and salt, clearing their windows with longhandled brushes while gently stepping around in the snow trying to stay nice and dry.
GmtGmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #32
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Getting 18 mpg out of an old Ford inline 6 is no trick. I drove this thing daily for a good while and always got 20 or more on mileage. 200 cubic inches under the hood. I converted it to Duraspark ignition out of a 70s era Maverick but everything else was stock.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #33
domeier

Oh man, I like that wagon. We had a '63 when I was a kid. I loved cranking the rear window up and down. Could do that all day.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #34
special-K
Special Order

Going to a 2wd 67-72 is a good idea for your needs,it sounds. I agree,not so good fuel economy can be offset by many things such as no payment,fix it yourself and never very expensive to do by comparison to newer stuff. Like I said,I'd be driving only older stuff if I lived in San Jose. By now I would have built one for long distance running so I wouldn't have a need for anything newer. There's something to be said for having only one vehicle for everything,too.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #35
panhandler62
Java Mechanic

The answer lies within --

If you want a second vehicle to save gas; it's unlikely that you come out ahead unless you get something very cheap, very reliable and very efficient.

If you want a second vehicle period then move to the next question:
Do I want something that only requires normal maintenance or do I want something cool?

You have to clearly define what you want to get a good solid answer.
68 C20 Fleetside -- RIP
Decorating the whole town up at a cost of $27 ....
panhandler62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #36
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Every time I have tried a car in the Import world, I have regretted it. The only nice thing about them is that they are easy to sell. Personally, I would buy and drive that little Ranchero every day for the rest of my life, before I ever considered buying another import. Call me whatever you want, but my opinion is backed by experience. Give me a Prius and I'll push it off a cliff....with my '65 Chevy. I have been left stranded by EVERY import I have owned, NEVER AGAIN.

Sorry to sound so angry, but I just tried to help a friend by driving his 97 Civic home (85 miles) for him, and it broke down half way there! This was just last weekend, so I'm still a little hot.....sorry.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #37
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Getting 18 mpg out of an old Ford inline 6 is no trick. I drove this thing daily for a good while and always got 20 or more on mileage. 200 cubic inches under the hood. I converted it to Duraspark ignition out of a 70s era Maverick but everything else was stock.

That wagon is awesome!
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
wicky

I say go old school. Find a nice 67-72 2wd. Even with a 350 u can still get 15 out of em. They just have.to.be tuned right. Than like everyone says they r cheap to fix and u dnt need a lap.top to.work.on em
Posted via Mobile Device
wicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 AM   #39
Frizzle Fry

...or go old school yota, of the FJ variety (got my wife a 68). BTW, I drive my 64 a few times a week. Would not hesitate to drive it cross country. And I love the 60-62 falcons.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:59 PM   #40
cam.man67

I say go with the Falcon. But what can I say, my DD is a '68 Dart...

I think there's a lot to be said for ease of maintenance that a newer Toyota (or really, most newer cars/trucks) ain't gonna provide.
1989 Toyota Pickup 22re, auto, 3.73
cam.man67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #41
oldgold70c10
Who's got steelies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post

Tripmobile!!! That thing is awesome.
1970 C20 Suburban 350/700R4 4.10 gearing green & white
1978 Big 10 Silverado 350/th350, working ac, 2 tone blue-My summer daily driver
1983 GMC 1500 Sierra 305/SM465 2.73 rear end

How to add a trip odometer to your 67-72 stock speedometer

How to rebuild your Q-Jet

My Truck Page
My Youtube Channel
oldgold70c10 is offline   Reply With Quote