The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
yossarian19

Keeping it a "work" truck. Thoughts?

Well, now that I've got my direction with the Jeep sorted out & am almost done with it, I'm starting to think about the 57 in the family again.
I want to keep it as a practical work truck but need a few modern updates.
To keep it as factory as possible, I'm interested in swapping an entire front suspension (control arms, steering rack, coil over, hubs & brakes, etc) from a modern work truck. I know about the MII, S10, Nova etc swaps but want something at least 1/2 ton truck rated.
Anyone done it? Have any info? Thoughts?
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
azsnow

Re: Keeping it a "work" truck. Thoughts?

What type of work are you planning on doing with this truck? In the end, it might be worth buying a newer truck for a work truck and keeping the 57 for another day.
azsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
Baradium
Binder Rep

how about the front end from a later C20 or C30? Frame width is the thing you need to check. If it has an i-beam front now you could also upgrade to a newer i-beam as well.
Baradium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
coralhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian19 View Post
To keep it as factory as possible, I'm interested in swapping an entire front suspension (control arms, steering rack, coil over, hubs & brakes, etc) from a modern work truck. Thoughts?
This is kind of a contridictory thought??????? Why not just keep it stock and possibly discs up front. They were built as "work" trucks.
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
OrrieG

If I remember correctly a couple of guys have used later model stuff by taking a section out of the center to reduce the track width. Or you could do a complete frame like sgtusmc. For the MII, Nova, S10 you would just need to look at the suppliers load capacity information and see if they can upgrade to your requirements. Are you going to be hauling or towing? City streets or lots of highway time? I have always and plan on continuing to use mine as a daily driver and recreation truck. Up here the 4wd comes in handy and is an easy swap because you can use the front springs without any mods except for steering and shocks. The existing beam axle can be upgraded with discs, modern shocks and power steering. Rear axle can be changed for better highway use. Engine and transmission are up to you, as well as add ons like AC, stero, etc. As far as capacity I drove mine as a stock 1/2 ton, 6 , 4speed with a camper and all the stuff needed for camping and hunting (around 7-800#) for 10 years. One time I even drove it across the scale at the dump with a total weight of 6100# (old sidewalk). Only problems were brakes on long hills.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Walts_restoration
Real Projects never die

http://www.e-zchassisswaps.com/1955.htm

Bottom of that page. Im looking into one of his kits, at least for the body mounting pieces.

My name tag says Ryan

KansasTwister On other forums
Walts_restoration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM   #7
mr48chev

The short bed square body would probably cost more than the kit though if prices there are like they are here for short bed trucks. You could probably pick up a great running but rough long bed for a reasonable price though. Then you could shorten the frame and fit it to your truck.

If my eyeballing serves right the 57 frame is several inches wider than the AD frames or the later frames up though 1977. That would make just swapping a later crossmember over a pain as you would have to make insets in the frame rails to accommodate the crossmember and the truck would sit pretty high in most cases without the later model's dip in the frame.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:02 AM   #8
yossarian19

I won't be using it on the job, I only mean work truck as contrasted to a hot rod. I will use it to haul things on occasion, drive it down dirt roads, etc. So i want to keep it 1/2 ton rated or better.
The more I think about it, the more I'm aware of my limitations in time, money, skill & work space. I think I'll put quality shocks on it, disc brakes, maybe go SBC instead of inline6 and call it a day. I don't yet have the fab skills to do truck rated IFS.
yossarian19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:30 AM   #9
Layedoutsonoma91

I know yours is a 57, but this what you mean?
Layedoutsonoma91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:14 AM   #10
Pop's C-10

jus rebuild tha stock susp...add discs & p/s...call it good
Pop's C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote