The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #1
savatreatabvr

Manual Choke Ignorance!

Yeah, a manual choke is pretty much self explanatory but for some reason mine is fighting me! There's only a fraction of an inch between stumbling, the sweet spot and stumbling again so I'm wondering if something else is wrong with the Quadrajet!

savatreatabvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
donut

Re: Manual Choke Ignorance!

Your q-jet may be fighting you, or your fighting yourself.(?)

I'm not going through multiple threads on your carburetor to find out what has already been suggested. As I mentioned in them, you'll have to do a little work to get the wrong kit to work. No kit instructions say "twist cable through this hole", I do believe there is supposed to be a linkage on the vacuum can, so I can't tell you what else is fubar.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have my truck back, and can post you a pic.

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 PM   #3
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Describe your starting procedure.

And, what's the temperature in phoenix now?
C-10 simplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #4
savatreatabvr

Temp is around 70 day and 42 night, I pump it 3 or 4 times pull the choke until it starts and then slide the lever in and out until I find a sweet spot, if I find one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 simplex View Post
Describe your starting procedure.

And, what's the temperature in phoenix now?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 AM   #5
savatreatabvr

I'm not a shade tree mechanic or can afford to pay one to work on my truck for me so that's why I post on this forum, I apologize if I'm asking the same things in different threads but if my questions were answered then I wouldn't still be having problems now would I? I'm a single dad trying to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table so I obviously can't go without my truck so that's why I reach out on this forum for help, I can do without rude comments from someone who doesn't like multiple threads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donut View Post
Your q-jet may be fighting you, or your fighting yourself.(?)

I'm not going through multiple threads on your carburetor to find out what has already been suggested. As I mentioned in them, you'll have to do a little work to get the wrong kit to work. No kit instructions say "twist cable through this hole", I do believe there is supposed to be a linkage on the vacuum can, so I can't tell you what else is fubar.

Hopefully in a couple of weeks I'll have my truck back, and can post you a pic.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:21 AM   #6
INSIDIOUS '86

this is why i dont deal with quadrabogs...nothing but issues and probs
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

make your self a build thread throw up a bunch of pics of the engine etc for some back ground info pls

show it from the top pushed in and pulled out how far it travels
later when it's setup trim back the wire so when pulled it goes to the sweet spot
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
I'm not a shade tree mechanic or can afford to pay one to work on my truck for me so that's why I post on this forum, I apologize if I'm asking the same things in different threads but if my questions were answered then I wouldn't still be having problems now would I? I'm a single dad trying to keep a roof over our heads and food on the table so I obviously can't go without my truck so that's why I reach out on this forum for help, I can do without rude comments from someone who doesn't like multiple threads!
I'm sorry for coming off rude, but your making fixing the carb more difficult by multiple postings on the same subject. As it stands now, your the only one who knows what has been done. Several folks have posted tips and things to try, and we don't know what you have tried. Try bumping up one of your older threads so people can see what has been suggested and tried, or linking them in this thread. I am trying to help.

I consider myself as a shade tree mechanic- out of necessity. I too can't afford to pay someone to do my work, or call a wrecker if I'm stranded on the side of the road.

I think I asked in another thread but if I didn't, does the fast-idle work?

Old 11-27-2011, 12:18 AM   #9
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

Actually, that is a good point: With the manual setup installed, does the fast and mid idle still function?

Irregardless of the that, a fraction of an inch between smooth and rough does sound right---i adjusted my choke pulloff only a hair and it made a big difference.

i would almost bet money that with those temps you probably don't even need to use the choke? Also, i think you only need 1 pump if the engine is cold unless it's been sitting for a few days.

So after it's all warmed up and you open the choke all the way, does it run smooth?
Old 11-27-2011, 12:29 AM   #10
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

P.S. i noticed that the secondary air flap control is disconnected. This is not important now though.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
savatreatabvr

It still gets cold enough to use a choke. I plugged the vacuum hose to the choke pulloff because I didn't think I needed it with a manual choke, am I wrong, do I still need it? Yeah, it never had the secondary linkage since I've had it, been planning to hit the junk yard but just haven't had time, I'd love to hear those back two barrels kick in!

Quote:
P.S. i noticed that the secondary air flap control is disconnected. This is not important now though.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #12
savatreatabvr

The fast idle still works in means of I turn the screw and the idle raises but I'm not sure if it's adjusted correctly.

Quote:
I'm sorry for coming off rude, but your making fixing the carb more difficult by multiple postings on the same subject. As it stands now, your the only one who knows what has been done. Several folks have posted tips and things to try, and we don't know what you have tried. Try bumping up one of your older threads so people can see what has been suggested and tried, or linking them in this thread. I am trying to help.

I consider myself as a shade tree mechanic- out of necessity. I too can't afford to pay someone to do my work, or call a wrecker if I'm stranded on the side of the road.

I think I asked in another thread but if I didn't, does the fast-idle work?
Old 11-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #13
Hotrodrobert

You DO need the secondary link!!!!! The choke break dampens the secondary flap opening to control the flap from opening too quickly and causing a bog when they open.
That choke arrangement gives a LOT of choke change for a very small change on the cable. I don't see a fast idle cam at all.
Get a Q Jet book and READ it!!!!!
Rochester Carburetors by Doug Roe and the one by Cliff Ruggles and very good.
You have too many problems to solve here!!!!!!!!
Properly tuned, Q Jets will beat ANY carb on a normal street app!!
Hotrodrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #14
donut

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
The fast idle still works in means of I turn the screw and the idle raises but I'm not sure if it's adjusted correctly.
Are we talking the right screw? Fast idle screw is behind where you've got the choke cable connected. On mine, you could almost feel it drop in before you cranked the truck. Hold throttle to the floor for a second when you choke it. (before you hit the key). When it starts, idle should be 1200-1500 rpm. (+/-)
When it's warm, you should be able to blip the throttle to kick it down to your normal idle.

Hotrodrobert mentioned get the books. You can even check them out of the local library. Tons of information on general operation and troubleshooting.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
C-10 simplex
Account Suspended

1) First off, when you say there is a fraction of an inch between rough and smooth is this during warm up?

When everything is warmed up and you open the choke all the way, does everything run smooth?

2) i can't say for sure (although i'm 99.9% sure) that if you don't mind fiddling with the manual choke (and really i don't see how you have any choice at this point.....) during warm up, then no you don't really need the primary choke pulloff.

3) i'm sorry about bringing up that secondary linkage. i meant (for everyone) that it is not important NOW, because we should solve the choke issue first. But it IS important in general unless you never use the secondaries.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:31 PM   #16
savatreatabvr

The fast idle screw on the passenger side, when it's cold I pump it twice, pull the choke and it fires and idles around 1500 rpm. It's when I push the choke in (opening the flap) when it's warmed up is when it runs rough, it's like I always drive with the choke partially closed.

Quote:
Are we talking the right screw? Fast idle screw is behind where you've got the choke cable connected. On mine, you could almost feel it drop in before you cranked the truck. Hold throttle to the floor for a second when you choke it. (before you hit the key). When it starts, idle should be 1200-1500 rpm. (+/-)
When it's warm, you should be able to blip the throttle to kick it down to your normal idle.

Hotrodrobert mentioned get the books. You can even check them out of the local library. Tons of information on general operation and troubleshooting.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:36 PM   #17
tucsonjwt

Restating the obvious, but did you take the air cleaner off when the engine was warm to make sure that the choke was all the way open?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #18
savatreatabvr

1) It's all the time.

2) That's what I thought, the choke pull off is useless if I'm using a manual choke.

3) I would like to have the secondary linkage but since I don't I've never actually floored the truck. I'm old school when it comes to hearing those secondaries kick in, I love that WaaaaHohooooo sound!

Quote:
1) First off, when you say there is a fraction of an inch between rough and smooth is this during warm up?

When everything is warmed up and you open the choke all the way, does everything run smooth?

2) i can't say for sure (although i'm 99.9% sure) that if you don't mind fiddling with the manual choke (and really i don't see how you have any choice at this point.....) during warm up, then no you don't really need the primary choke pulloff.

3) i'm sorry about bringing up that secondary linkage. i meant (for everyone) that it is not important NOW, because we should solve the choke issue first. But it IS important in general unless you never use the secondaries.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #19
donut

All the time?

If so, you've got deeper issues. Possible clogged passages, too lean/rich, vacuum leaks...
The carb should run close to primo before you start monkeying around with the choke. (IMO.)

Then at least you have a baseline to start from.

I have run without a choke below 0, it's just a pain. Lots of folks run for years without a functioning choke.