The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #1
dtkarst

Just another 66 C10

So I've had this truck for a few months, but just now putting a thread on here. Its a 1966 C10 custom cab long bed. Bought it because i saw it on local classified ad for $1100. I was bored that day so I called the old owner up and got the details. 66 C10, factory V8 said to be 283, custom cab. Hadnt been driven or started in at least 15-20 years despite what he told me. The mice had the wires eaten to nothing. But needless to say I went to look at it and after some haggling, $500 later it was mine. Took it home ran some make shift wires to get it to fire and cleaned the engine compartment. As i was getting mouse remains off and the inch layer of grease off the valve covers on the engine i discovered it was a 327. Ran the numbers on the block and it was made in flint and is the correct factory motor. Originally bought it to maybe turn around and sell it, but since i found it was a 327 i decided to keep it. So I just put new wiring in it and still in the process of doing tail lights and reverse lights. Needs fenders, inner fenders, one rocker panel, one cab corner and 3 supports. Floor has a couple holes in it but nothing major. Ive seen worse haha
Attached Images

dtkarst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
chevyrestoguy

Re: Just another 66 C10

$500, runs, original 327 engine.... You did well!

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

looks like a good place to start, and for a good deal too.
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:48 AM   #4
dmwphoto

loads of potential in that. Great score and look forward to following this project.
dmwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 PM   #5
dtkarst

Put new plugs and wires on it today along with valve cover gaskets. I will have more pictures put up tomorrow on some of the wiring and work being done. I had no idea pack rats could do so much damage, and stink up a heater that bad!
Old 11-11-2011, 01:21 AM   #6
dtkarst

New wiring harness is all in and everything works. Took the rear bumper off to run the tail lights and reverse lights, and while it was off i decided to paint it. Got it all sanded down and painted and about 2 hours into the drying process i saw one of our farm cats walking across it...The kitty learned to fly that day! but got it taken care of. I also took the grille out and painted it along with the surround and its in the drying process. I have been looking for clips for the wires in the engine compartment to keep it the original look but i am having no luck. I also got a hazard switch and set up, but im not sure how it is supposed to be hooked up so I have plenty of little projects to do. Every since i painted the rear bumper it made everything else look crappy haha so now the white down the side and the cab will be painted. sides will be done before the cab though id like to drive it for awhile before I begin sanding down the cab.
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
McMurphy

Congrats on a very nice score!
I am a member of the $500 club too, there are a few of us here I have noted
Please keep us posted (with lots of pics of course) it is always awesome to see someone apply their imagination to one of these trucks !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
rokitrik

Looking really good!
rokitrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
losthope

Looks like a nice starting point!! I also have a 66' and was for sell for $500 but the cheap ass that i am got it for $400 it pretty much is the exact truck you bought paint scheme and all,If you want to check it out click on my build thread. I find it easier and to stay motivated working on a driving truck then when its all tore apart , have fun drive it and fix little things untill you have a game plan is how i do it! keep posting pics of your progress ill be looking forward to what you do next!

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #10
dtkarst

Thank you for the comments everyone. I painted the grille and surround gloss white this week and have it set back in and will have pictures up soon. Took out for a little cruise the other day and found that the upper radiator hose, or the hard pipe, has a hole in it smaller then the tip of a pen. So I settled for a flex house for the time being until i can get a different one. Also put in a new thermostat since my old one wasnt working. I was a little worried when i took the oil breather off and saw white oil on it. I was a little bit furious haha but it turns out it was still a little wet from when i power washed the engine compartment and motor so that made my day. Just trying to work out the kinks yet. I will keep updating as I go.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:06 AM   #11
dtkarst

Have been trying to work on the truck whenever I can. Mainly the little things that arent too exciting, but i did finish painting the grille and surround and began buffing out the paint. She aint show quality but im surprised that it even shines haha Next is to finish buffing it all out and repainting the white strip down the side and attempt to clean the trim a bit to a better shine. I have a picture of the progress on the drivers side and what it looked like in a picture of the passenger. Painting the mirrors next when the weather cooperates with me. I've been driving it a little bit as well and hearing that 327 pur is something else. Callme crazy but there is jsut something about driving the old girl at night when the dash lights are lit up and its like its the old days. But then again that could just be me! haha Let me know what you think!
Attached Images