The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
ericjon262

Question Dually rear suspension??

I have a 1987 R30, and I'm thinking about pulling the bed to tackle some rust issues and maybe install a set of helper bags after removing a few leafs to soften the ride some. is there a better rear suspension setup for a dually that offers a decent ride, and a nice load capacity?

Thanks for any help-

Eric.

My trucks don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
ericjon262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 AM   #2
ozark

Re: Dually rear suspension??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjon262 View Post
is there a better rear suspension setup for a dually that offers a decent ride, and a nice load capacity?

Thanks for any help-

Eric.
Bag it, make it fully air ride
ozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
ericjon262

it's not out of the question. I'm just not too familiar with how airbags handle loads, it's a truck, and I intend to use it like one and have it look good!

I don't want to lower the truck's stock capacity, 3613 pounds. increasing is cool with me, but this truck has the potential to be pulling a 6000 pound boat on occasion, or a load of concrete, ect...

Old 11-29-2011, 01:29 AM   #4
ozark

Think of it this way. Almost all overtheroad trucks are air ride today. They carry more wieght than your dually does. The same air bags can be adapted to your truck.

Last edited by ozark; 11-29-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spellin
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
ericjon262

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozark View Post
Think of it this way. Almost all overtheroad trucks are air ride today. They carry more wieght than your dually does. The same air bags can be adapted to your truck.
I understand that, but do the kits that allow you to use said airbags support the load?

any links to a good kit?

Thanks-

Eric.

Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 AM   #6
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

You had the right idea ... Keep the leaf springs as a way to keep the axle located but remove some leaves. Add some large bags with a solid mounting location and you should be good to go...

Check out these guys.... http://*************/catalog/-63-87-fullsize-chevy-parts

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE

Last edited by mcmlxix; 11-29-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: added link
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
ericjon262

does this seem like a decent kit to do what I want?

http://www.ultimateautoaccessories.c.../PROD/AIR/2071

I eventually plan to do something similar up front too. I want the truck to still be practical, but not ride like everything's solid mounted when I don't have a load on it.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

JEGS and Summit sells the same kit for less... but that should be fine as long as you dont try and go beyond the kits capacity... download and read the instructions...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FIP-2071

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:23 AM   #9
ericjon262

thanks for the help. I think thats probably what I'm going to do then!

Old 11-29-2011, 02:39 AM   #10
ozark

not the same year but general idea will apply to your truck.
http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/p...hevy_PAGE.html
Old 11-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #11
ericjon262

anyone running the airbar kit? I've been emailing back and forth with air rides's tech support, and they say it shouldn't affect weight capacity at all.

http://*************/airride-technolo...t-73-92-gm-c30

Thanks-

Eric.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
meter swinger

You might give duallyscene.com a look. While they are big into the slammed trucks on alcoas, they are very knowledgeable about bagged tow rigs. Also on facecrook is the custom six wheeler group, which has some experienced people. The airride kit looks nice, thats been tempting me as well. 2k is a good deal of coin but you get what you pay for.
Posted via Mobile Device

btw i see your in my former home. Miss the weather there, its 25° right now
meter swinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
SCOTI

DuallyScene doesn't have near the info I was looking for & hoping to find when I started seeking info on my 89 CC's suspension. That place moves @ the speed of sludge compared to this site....

For the rear suspension, there are several possibilities out there that allow installing a trick 2-link/4-link air suspension set-up. Ride Tech's rear HD AirBar is one of the BEST kits to consider if you plan to use your truck as a truck. Engineered & proven over thousands of cross country miles because they tow their enclosed trailers from coast to coast w/duallys lowered using their kits. It completely replaces the rough riding leaf spring arrangement w/a 4-bar & air bag set-up. The air management system can be high end or budget friendly depending on your needs.

Their kit doesn't allow for extreme drop.... but it does allow for moderate drop w/o compromising the original frame strength or capacity all while delivering a much improved ride (especially when compared to an air over leaf set-up).

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...ar-system.html
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #14
hick

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoti View Post
duallyscene doesn't have near the info i was looking for & hoping to find when i started seeking info on my 89 cc's suspension. That place moves @ the speed of sludge compared to this site....

For the rear suspension, there are several possibilities out there that allow installing a trick 2-link/4-link air suspension set-up. Ride tech's rear hd airbar is one of the best kits to consider if you plan to use your truck as a truck. Engineered & proven over thousands of cross country miles because they tow their enclosed trailers from coast to coast w/duallys lowered using their kits. It completely replaces the rough riding leaf spring arrangement w/a 4-bar & air bag set-up. The air management system can be high end or budget friendly depending on your needs.

Their kit doesn't allow for extreme drop.... But it does allow for moderate drop w/o compromising the original frame strength or capacity all while delivering a much improved ride (especially when compared to an air over leaf set-up).

http://www.ridetech.com/store/suspen...ar-system.html

thank you
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 AM   #15
andrewmp6

Scoti is right you can't go wrong with ridetech and its all made in the usa.
andrewmp6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #16
BigBlocksRule

One thing that most overlook when trying to improve the ride of a dually is the tires. Sidewalls on the first one I owned were like steel, there was no flex in them at all. I'd pee blood after about an hour on the road, it was like riding in an iron wheeled wagon. I swapped those out for some rated at lower load with highway tread and it was like driving a different truck.
I've removed the bottom leaf from the spring pack on the '97 I'm rebuilding and will add helper bags. I've never carried more than about a ton in the back of any truck I've owned, if you need more than that it's trailer time
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #17
SCOTI

While I agree the tires play a big role in the overall ride quality, the rear HD leafs are the major contributor to poor ride quality.

I've had 2 very similar swb trucks, a 68 & a 74. Both were dropped the same up front but the rear set-ups were different (truck-arm/air bag vs leafs/aol). The truck-arm/air bag arrangement provided a much better ride quality vs the HD leafs using the same size BFG's.

I thought my CC dually would have a better ride quality because of its longer wheelbase & greater GVW.... it does not. This is why I sold my C-30 flip-kit/AOL set-up for RideTechs HD AirBar (to eliminate the leafs).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote