The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2011, 12:17 AM   #1
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

How to ship a '60 GMC hood?

I have a hood for sale, and have a pending buyer for it. He lives in California, and I am in Idaho.

I would like to know if anyone knows an approximate weight of the hood. Has anyone shipped a hood, if so, do you have any pictures of the packaging?

I want to make sure he gets it in good shape, but I tend to WAY over-engineer things, so don't want to cost him a fortune in supplies and extra weight if possible. He is covering all freight, and packaging materials.

Also, who would be the best place(s) to call for quotes for something like this?

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:23 AM   #2
72bigred

Re: How to ship a '60 GMC hood?

Well some have shipped them greyhound although here in spokane they say they are to big although will fall within spec's..I do not recall weight exactly but have to be less than 100lbs or else I wouldnt have attempted the greyhound.. I freighted one out to TX I think? a couple of years ago.. cost around 150$.. Best to shop around or jump online and let them bid for your business.. I wrapped all edges in double backed cardboard and used a 20$ roll of plastic packing wrap and wrapped it up.. Oh I did had a 2 1 x 1's spanning the distance in the middle and back just to give the sides support.. If ya want a close weight put ya scale outside step on and then pick it up.. the 60 hood I shipped I think was in the 60lb range but its has been awhile.
72bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:36 AM   #3
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks for the info 72bigred. Me + Hood = broken scale. I'll have to use a different method. LOL

I'll get in touch with Greyhound tomorrow. But just in case, where would I go to get online and have them bid?

Any other ideas, and or input?

Old 11-29-2011, 01:01 AM   #4
losthope

I hear of guys using grey hound also....i dont know if you get on the H.A.M.B car forum but there is guys that offer car hauling all over the place and constantly driving cars and parts, might find someone making a run to California that could put it on their load for a fee . just a thought....

here is the transporters i found in the services section:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...earchid=285904

or you could post a add in the wanted section.....but would do a intro post first they get kinda uppity about new guys not doing intro's

"What that grinding noise?Don't worry about that it will eventually clearance itself!"

1966 chevy c10 Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485977

1954 ford customline
H.A.M.B 54 Build Thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=622142
losthope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:03 AM   #5
oem4me

I've never used UShip, but I hear about it often enough that it may be worth a try. http://www.uship.com/
From my experience, it seems most loading dock workers really enjoy a good crunch with packages marked FRAGILE ...and then the big, heavy ones just plain piss 'em off. I recommend you crate/pad the thing if you it want to arrive in the same shape as when it left.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:40 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I would build a wood box/crate for it and pad it well. I would also insure it. I just got done dealing with some headers that were damaged in shipping. It is well worth the extra time to package things very well. The sad truth is that a lot of the people that handle packages in shipping these days really don't seem to care. If I remeber correctly a hood weighs about 80#.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:08 AM   #7
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Yes, hood without hinges weighs 80.
I weighed my just recently.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by losthope View Post
I hear of guys using grey hound also....i dont know if you get on the H.A.M.B car forum but there is guys that offer car hauling all over the place and constantly driving cars and parts, might find someone making a run to California that could put it on their load for a fee . just a thought....

here is the transporters i found in the services section:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...earchid=285904

or you could post a add in the wanted section.....but would do a intro post first they get kinda uppity about new guys not doing intro's

Thanks for the second referral Losthope. I am on the H.A.M.B.... well I was, since I found this site, I really haven't been back much. I'll go look over there tonight, and see what I can find. After I do some kind of intro. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oem4me View Post
I've never used UShip, but I hear about it often enough that it may be worth a try. http://www.uship.com/
From my experience, it seems most loading dock workers really enjoy a good crunch with packages marked FRAGILE ...and then the big, heavy ones just plain piss 'em off. I recommend you crate/pad the thing if you it want to arrive in the same shape as when it left.

That's what I was worried about. I asked the buyer if he had any ideas about shipping it, since he is paying for everything. My idea was to build a 2x2 frame around it with enough room to get a pallet jack / forklift under it, and pad the crap out of it. Then they shouldn't be too irritated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I would build a wood box/crate for it and pad it well. I would also insure it. I just got done dealing with some headers that were damaged in shipping. It is well worth the extra time to package things very well. The sad truth is that a lot of the people that handle packages in shipping these days really don't seem to care. If I remeber correctly a hood weighs about 80#.

I hadn't thought about insurance Captainfab. Thanks for the input. I'll run that by the buyer also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Yes, hood without hinges weighs 80.
I weighed my just recently.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the confirmation on the hood weight Lostmy65!

Old 11-29-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
derail

You might also think about Craigslist. I see a lot of people in the "rideshare" section that offer to haul stuff for a fee along their intended route. Depends on where the guy lives in california. Just a thought.

On a side note, I think it would be awesome if there was a place on this board where you could put some sort of shipping post. Like, if you're taking a trip somewhere and had extra room to haul parts for someone. That sort of thing. We could help each other out. I'm on the forum ih8mud and they have a similar setup.

Last edited by derail; 11-29-2011 at 01:30 PM. Reason: no reason
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #10
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Thanks for the suggestion on Craigslist Derail! I looked earlier, and there is a guy with an empty box truck heading down to Vegas, then on to LA. The buyer lives just outside of LA.

I sent the Craigslist guy a message, hopefully we can make that happen!!

You could make that as a suggestion to one of the moderators. If there is enough interest, I'm sure they would set something like that up. You could send them a link to the one on ih8mud, so they could reference it. I have messaged Liz on several questions, and have always gotten a good response.

Thanks again for the Craigslist suggestion!!

Last edited by chevy_man5; 11-29-2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #11
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Local trucking companies around here are always looking for LTL to California so they can pick up the more profitable Fruits and Vegetables. If you know someone in the trucking business they can post it for you on the internet. UShip let's the unconnected play in the shipping game themselves.
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

I put a request on Uship this morning, so if the box truck doesn't work out, hopefully I'll get a response from there.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:42 PM   #13
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Ended up finding a guy on Craigslist who would haul it down to Vegas.

Thanks for the help guys!!