The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
vegas80step

Question 80 stepside wood bed dimensions?

I've searched the site and the net and can find exactly what I'm looking for up to 72' but can not find the wood bed dimensions for an 80'

Anyone have them, or a link?

The place in town wants $350 for the wood kit and $140 to ship it.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:26 PM   #2
1LowToy

Re: 80 stepside wood bed dimensions?

So do you need just the length, width, thickness? Or all the slotted sides and bed mounting bolt locatins too?

Trust me it worth spending when you can find a little better deal. I may still put my table saw to work before I buy a wood kit. The wood alone around here runs about $260. Cutting it up to fit is pretty labor intensive.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
1LowToy

So do you need just the length, width, thickness? Or all the slotted sides and bed mounting bolt locations too?

Trust me it worth spending when you can find a little better deal. I may still put my table saw to work before I buy a wood kit. The wood alone around here runs about $260. Cutting it up to fit is pretty labor intensive.
1LowToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
john_p

have you looked at these people http://www.classicparts.com/Wood/products/340/.. 350 is not a bad price IF it includes the metal required.. i have dealt with classic and to date everything they have sent me has been out of the park on quality..

from what i read, my 73 uses the same wood as your 80...
john_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
rayfinseats

Long bed is 50" x 8 feet I think.
rayfinseats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
vegas80step

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LowToy View Post
So do you need just the length, width, thickness? Or all the slotted sides and bed mounting bolt locatins too?

I need the width of each board, I'd take the bolt locations if ya had them. But I'm assuming I could figure those out. think I'd still rather spend $260 and do it myself. I'm pretty good with a table saw and/or a router. thanks for the input and any more info you may have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_p View Post
have you looked at these people http://www.classicparts.com/Wood/products/340/.. 350 is not a bad price IF it includes the metal required.. i have dealt with classic and to date everything they have sent me has been out of the park on quality..

from what i read, my 73 uses the same wood as your 80...
The $350 is just the wood, and another $30 if you want the bolt holes counter sunk. (which I could just do when it got here) I'll check out that link, thanks.

I found a few web sites which in depth details all the way to 72... is there a change between 72 and 73?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayfinseats View Post
Long bed is 50" x 8 feet I think.
thanks, I should have said, I have a shortbed. Thanks though
Old 12-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
john_p

the boards i took out of my 73 step were 6 inches wide.. i priced red oak at the lowes yesterday and you could save maybe 40 percent routing the wood and drilling the holes over the price i saw at classic.. if you want pine the price is way lower.. i assume 350 was the oak..
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #8
john_p

i miss living in the Dessert, i lived in Vegas back in the 70's..
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
vegas80step

Quote:
the boards i took out of my 73 step were 6 inches wide.. i priced red oak at the lowes yesterday and you could save maybe 40 percent routing the wood and drilling the holes over the price i saw at classic.. if you want pine the price is way lower.. i assume 350 was the oak..
The $350 was Oak, I might just break down and buy the kit... It would be cool do cut it myself but, I'm pretty busy with work. If I factor in the time off of work, it ends up being cheaper to buy the kit... looks like the kit wins (this round) thanks for the input and info.

Quote:
i miss living in the Dessert, i lived in Vegas back in the 70's..
I've been out here for about 10 years, I hated the first 2, & now I wouldn't live any where else. Where else does $50 bucks keep every speeding ticket off your record??
Old 12-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #10
vegas80step

Update... broke down and ordered th wood kit... should be here in 10 days. After spending days thinking about this and trying to say a few bucks, I went to home depot and spend $100 on wood stain samples to find the color I want... lol

Funny how my brain works, it didn't want to spend the cash on the wood kit. But didn't give two thoughts about spending cash to get the right stain color. oh the joins of rebuilding a truck...