The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 PM   #26
jimig1

Re: I need a compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
The difference between that 60 gallon and the 80 gallon is really not what makes it a better compressor. Most of your 80 gallons are 2 stage compressors. With the 2-stage compressors one piston pumps air into a second cylinder that further increases pressure. If you had a 60 gallon 2 stage like I do you would not even feel the difference between the 60 and the 80 gallon although there is more air in the 80 gallon tank the the difference would be slight. I bought a 60 gallon 2 stage for space (most 60 gallons are single stage) if I had the space I would have gone 80 (more choices and easy to find). A 2 stage does not work as hard and is very quiet. I can talk on the phone while my compressor is running and hear just fine. Stay away from those oilless compressors they are loud and do not last as long.
2 stage compressor are very nice. The 80 gal that i was going to get was 2 stage. I totally forgot about that. When I was looking for one I didn't see any 2 stage 60 gal compressors
MSRA Member

I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
-George Carlin
jimig1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:53 PM   #27
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGMC4 View Post
If your box has a couple blank spots it's not too hard to add a 220 breaker and run some wire to a new outlet. They have special boxes just for adding an outlet in an old construction situation. That's what I had to do.
Thanks but the garage is detached and even though the existing sub panel at the house does have open spots, "slipping" multiple heavy gauge wires past the existing wries in the conduit is not advised as far as I know due to the risk of compromising the insulation on the existing wire. I wish it were that easy, but the sub panel MAY work out.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 02:30 AM   #28
dna9656

When you decide to buy a compressor thinking you'll just paint your truck is like installing lighting in your house and believing you'll never want to run a toaster so why install outlets.. if all you're going to do is paint your truck go rent a compressor.
Painting a truck is a LOT more than squirting paint out of a gun. You will want to sand that truck first, it goes a lot faster and is easier on you the worker if you have a DA (dual action) sander, then because even the nicest truck has dings you'll want to fill the things with filler, sand them, prime them, sand them, prime them, on and on. After that you may even find yourself grinding rust or just grinding paint out of a dent, you want to use a grinder because the 80, 60, 40 grit disk gives your filler "tooth" or profile. You might need an air file or jitter bug sander too. Bottom line is this, don't think you are going to "just paint" your truck. I went to harbor frieght, looked at the 60 gal. compressor there and went over to Lowes, got a 4 cylinder (all the same size pistons) 220 volt belt drive, 80 GALLON, 125 psi w/10 to 12 or 13 CFM, THAT will drive any air tool you will need, no problems...and it coast the same as the one at harbor freight with the sale and my Military discount. It is a Cambell/Hausfield.
dna9656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #29
mobileortho

Believe me, I really won't be using it for much more than painting. I've been doing the body work off & on for more the past few months. (Like you said, sand, prime, grind) Still not ready for paint but had just came across that compressor and I thought it was a pretty good deal. (Was being the operative word because it's been sold now!!) I have just about all the electric tools I need thanks to my father. He died several years ago and had amassed a vast colletion of tools.

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #30
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimig1 View Post
2 stage compressor are very nice. The 80 gal that i was going to get was 2 stage. I totally forgot about that. When I was looking for one I didn't see any 2 stage 60 gal compressors
Yeah you got that right. When I was looking I know I wanted a 2 stage but I only had room for a 60 gallon. I search and search then I found a Belaire 60 gallon 2 stage. I've had it for about 5 years and it's great. I never run out of air and I love it.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #31
cleanshaven84

I currently have a 30 gal Kobalt and when I sprayed my '99 Ext cab, I had to spray it in three stages. I did the roof first, the front cap and cab second, and then the bed third. If I had the money, a 60 gal with a 5hp would be what I would go with. I also used a Sata Jet NR90 HVLP. Did great untill the pressure started to drop. Had to stop and wait many times.

Currently working on S-10 chassis swap.

Philippians 4:13 - "I can do all things through him who strengthens me."
cleanshaven84 is offline   Reply With Quote